Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Flowmaster - True Dual Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old April 19th, 2010, 6:06 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Flowmaster - True Dual Exhaust

Well, after careful deliberation, I have decided on a new Flowmaster exhaust system for my 2004 Silverado LS 5.3L; which will be installed tomorrow.

I had a couple of options for different types (loudness) of mufflers, as well as whether or not to get a true dual exhaust system versus a single exhaust with dual mufflers. I'm going to spend an extra $120 or so and go with the real duals.

Basically, it will run from the oxygen sensor where the two pipes come together out of the cats - and will have two pipes running down the right side of the truck (fuel tank in the way on the left) into two separate mufflers (up over the axle, of course) and then out the rear of the truck through stainless steel tips. The shop manager put my truck up on their lift and showed me everything that I could do and what each type of system would look like under there.

I chose the "HD 50" that has moderate sound level, as opposed to the quiet/mild "Type 70" or loud/aggressive "Type 40" mufflers. A friend of mine has the 40 on his 2002 Silverado, and it is quite loud. I do have neighbors and I usually leave for work at o-dark-thirty.

They had a cheaper type available, but they did not offer a lifetime warranty like they do with the Flowmasters. I got two quotes and went with the shop that is less than a mile from my house - even though they are $75 higher than another place 30 minutes away. I can drop the truck off in the morning, walk home and then walk back to get it when they're finished that evening. I hope I am making a right choice for my truck, as I am going to be keeping it for awhile.

I'll take some pics tomorrow when I get the truck back. Anyone else ever have such a system installed? My neighbor has an '06 Silverado and his sounds awesome - with a single exhaust system with twin pipes. I hope I made the right decision. I am on vacation from work this week and figured I was entitled to do something nice for myself since I am not going out of town. {{ GRIN!! }}

My son's words: "If it is too loud, then you're too old." (but he was referring to music rather than exhaust)

Last edited by JK23112; April 19th, 2010 at 6:10 PM.
Old April 19th, 2010, 6:23 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the town i live in is quite noisy. 3 outta 5 trucks have dual exhaust. a local muffler shop makes the systems there for $150 to $300. most trucks run glass packs or just straight pipe.
All my vehicles have dual exhaust.
Old April 19th, 2010, 6:53 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I have the flowmaster single pipe coming outa tha cat into 1 muffler, then 2 pipes coming outa the muffler and then they shoot out to the left and right side of the truck and stick out just behind my rear tires. Then on the tips of each of the exhaust pipes they welded a 1 into 2 chrome tip so it looks as if I have 4 exhaust pipes, 2 on each side of the truck, it looks very nice and stylish.

Also I know in the motorcycle world having 2 pipes give you more mid-range power, and having 1 exhaust pipe give you more top end power. I suppose this is also true for cars & trucks right?

Last edited by Mille Racer 69; April 19th, 2010 at 6:58 PM.
Old April 20th, 2010, 9:25 AM
CF Junior Member

I just had a Flowmaster single-in/dual-out, 2 chamber, 40 seriers muffler with SS tips straight out the back installed for 500.00 and it sounds great. My 4.3, v-6 sounds great, I know with time it will mellow out just a little, but you do hear me coming and thats what i wanted, great job LOU'S CUSTOM in MA. I hope JK enjoys his system as muck as I do.
Old April 20th, 2010, 12:51 PM
CF Senior Member

Default Flowmasters

Well, Birdie, I will find out in a few hours when I pick it up.

I certainly hope I won't be disappointed or that it is "not loud enough" for me. My friend has an '02 Silverado with the '40 Series' mufflers and I do think it is a bit loud. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the '50 HD Series' mufflers will prove to be the right choice.

If I can get another 10hp or so - and 1 or 2 miles per gallon, I guess it will be worth it in the long run. This system will probably be $600 or so - but will have a lifetime warranty (as opposed to $450 without one).

P.S. I will try to post some pictures tonight or tomorrow.
Old April 20th, 2010, 9:05 PM
CF Senior Member

Default Flowmaster Exhaust

Well, I picked up the truck this evening at the muffler shop - and the new Flowmaster system is rockin' and rollin' as expected. The "50 HD" type of muffler was a good choice, or so it seems.

At start-up and idle, it has a nice, low, throaty rumble - without being too loud. Once it is up and rolling, the mid-range sound is very nice. At higher RPMs, it kind of levels off (which will be pleasant on highway driving). When you step down on it, it brings back memories of the old "Turbo Mufflers" from the 1970s and 1980s that were all the rage.

I think I made the right choice with the "moderate" sound level. It sounds awesome, but I won't wake the dead when I drive past a cemetery (as I may have done with the '40' Series).

I've attached a few photos. It is a "true" dual exhaust system - basically from the catalytic converters on back. Because of the fuel tank being in the way on the left side, both pipes had to run down the right-hand side of the truck. Anyway, I hope I am satisfied with it over the long haul - since I expect to keep this truck for quite some time.

Name:  UnderTheTruck.jpg
Views: 4917
Size:  45.0 KB

Name:  FlowmasterExhausts-2.jpg
Views: 6300
Size:  75.7 KB

Name:  FlowmasterExhaust-1.jpg
Views: 14987
Size:  63.8 KB

Name:  UnderTheTruck.jpg
Views: 4917
Size:  45.0 KB
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
UnderTheTruck.jpg (45.0 KB, 686 views)
Old April 20th, 2010, 10:55 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not to shabby.... I like it.
Old April 20th, 2010, 11:22 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if i get true duals flowmaster 10 series will be for me
Old April 21st, 2010, 7:30 AM
CF Senior Member

A 10 Series? I did not know they had such a thing. If the lower number indicates sound level, I would not want to live within a mile of you.
Old April 21st, 2010, 9:15 AM
CF Beginner

I put a single in dual out 40 series on my 05 z-71 with turn downs didn't run any tips out and it sounds great. $100 did the welding my self

Quick Reply: Flowmaster - True Dual Exhaust