Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Front Wheel "Buckling" on Sharp Turns

Old December 22nd, 2011, 9:02 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front Wheel "Buckling" on Sharp Turns

I've been fixing up a 1989 c1500 that I bought a month or two ago. The next problem I want to address is this strange feeling I get when I make hard left turns (U-turns). It feels almost like the wheel is some how collapsing. Would this be a tie rod? I've felt something similar in an older truck and it was the hub bearings. But that was more of a wobble. I'm going to go ahead and replace both front bearings. But if anyone has any insight into what could be causing this "buckling" feel, it would be greatly appreciated!

Just a few more notes: I feel it mostly only on left turns. I've tried a few sharp right turns and kind of felt it too, but not nearly as significant as on sharp left hand turns. Also, there seems to be no problems if I'm driving straight or just making regular turns. But if I'm making a u-turn, it almost feels like the front left tires going to collapse.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Old December 22nd, 2011, 9:04 PM
CF Beginner

Also, I did poke around down there before posting...only thing I found was that the stabalizer bar was missing a link set on that side. I replaced it, but it didnt help the problem.
Old December 23rd, 2011, 7:21 AM
CF Junior Member

could be a bad ball joint. On your year model, you have to remove the control arm and press in the ball joints. I did this on a 88 Scotsdale I use to have. Easy to do and not very expensive. I recomend replacing all ball joints, bearings and races as well as up grading the sway bar with urethane bushings....probably under $200 for parts. maching shop may charge $20 for the work.