Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx
Old July 22nd, 2015, 11:47 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Exterior
Print Wikipost

How to keep rocker panels from rusting out?!?

Search this Thread

Old December 31st, 2011, 2:18 PM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to keep rocker panels from rusting out?!?

I know the rocker and cab corners are a common thing that rust out badly. Im wondering what are some tips or tricks to help prevent them from rusting? Besides washing them good and keeping dirt/moisture off them?
Old January 2nd, 2012, 9:59 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by chevy619
I know the rocker and cab corners are a common thing that rust out badly. Im wondering what are some tips or tricks to help prevent them from rusting? Besides washing them good and keeping dirt/moisture off them?

Yes... i would like to know the same thing!! Live in Kansas they salt the roads here, lived here 7 years now. i see a lot of Chevy trucks that are rusted out around wheel finders and cab corners, not just early models, i see late model truck like 2006 range as well.
Old January 3rd, 2012, 5:05 AM
CF Beginner

Looks like we're not going to get any help Nobody??
Old January 3rd, 2012, 9:25 AM
CF Active Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Undercoat them really good. POR15 is a great product for this but that's about the best way to keep it from rusting from the inside out other than keeping it clean and washing regularly.
Old January 3rd, 2012, 5:49 PM
CF Beginner

Default rocker panel rusting

Originally Posted by chevy619

i have a 92 chevy regular cab long bed it was originally two tone color marroon and the rocker panels were silver i had them rino lined the day i got it and it drive it in snow pit it everything and wash it maybe once a month and havent got a spot of rust or any soft spots in it anywhere fenders or nothing
Old January 3rd, 2012, 8:35 PM
CF Active Member

Some places don't use salt on the road when it snows and some do. If salt is on the road you would pretty much need to rinse the truck after every use. The slush builds up and holds on the inside of the fender and melts leaving salt and corroding it at the same time. So you have to put a coat of something over it or rinse it a lot.
Old January 8th, 2012, 9:15 PM
CF Active Member

Auto Value has some autobody rubberized undercoating I think I will try see if it helps.
Old February 5th, 2012, 8:47 PM
CF Active Member

Its best to sand the paint down a bit before undercoating right? It seems as if alot of people around here just spray it over the paint/clear and it doesnt seem like it would stick as well, maybe im wrong maybe the clear and paint act as an additoinal layer of protection. I'm not sure thats why I'm asking.
Old February 6th, 2012, 4:55 AM
CF Junior Member

I've always oiled the underside and inside door panels on all of my vehicles. It definately helps with the rust. There are places that spray oil under coat your vehicle for a small fee. Stay away from car washes during rust time - most recycle water and you end up spraying your vehicle with salt water unless you're first, drive roads that aren't salted whenever possible. Avoid parking in a heated garage - the temperature changes activate the salt.
Sorry about the lack of paragraphs. Happens to me on certain forums. Some I can't even sign into. Something wrong with this 11 year old computer. I type the spaces in and when I post everything is jammed together. Does anybody have a computer that is good enough to surf the web and check emails for sale?

Last edited by jrsavoie; February 6th, 2012 at 4:59 AM.
Old February 6th, 2012, 6:26 PM
CF Senior Member

easiest and cheapest thing to do is go buy either the spray or roll on bed liner. Same as rhino liner but a heck of alot cheaper.

Quick Reply: How to keep rocker panels from rusting out?!?