Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Fuel Filter location 2004 Silverado

Search this Thread

Old September 20th, 2006, 11:42 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Filter location 2004 Silverado

Does anyone know where exactly where the fuel filter is located on a 2004 Silverado Ext. Cab 2WD? Is it inside that unit that is on the frame under the driver side door where all the fuel and brake lines enter? Thanks for any help.
Old September 22nd, 2006, 5:17 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Fuel Filter location 2004 Silverado

There was an error in the 2004 Owners Manual Section 6 under Normal Maintenance Replacement Parts.
This section lists the fuel filter as a replaceable part; this is incorrect as gas powered V-8 engines have a lifetime filter built into the fuel sender inside the tank and thus the fuel filter is not serviceable separately on 2004 Silverado trucks equipped with the 4.8 5.3 6.0 8.1 engines.
Old June 16th, 2007, 11:01 AM
CF Beginner

Default RE: Is this a fuel filter problem?

I have a 2004 Silverado 4x4 extended cab (two big doors, two little doors) with 75,000 miles. It began to occasionally loose power when the gas gauge fell below one quarter. It acted like a classic case of a plugged fuel filter. Chugging on hills or with a loaded horse trailer. Then the problem began to show up when the tank was fuller or the load was less. Outside temperature doesn't seem to matter. The problem used to go away entirely when you fill the tank above one fourth. I believe there is an RPM governor that cuts the engine out at about 3,000 RPM and when this problem occurs the engine never raps above about 1,000 RPM. If the fuel filter is a lifetime filter, does this mean it shouldnt plug? I took it to the Chevy garage and they couldnt get the problem to occur when they were trying to diagnose it but they did not seem to subscribe to the plugged filter theory. Last night I was below a fourth, pulling a trailer with one horse on rolling hills and it finally quit altogether for the first time. I was able to restart it but not get above about 750 RPM. We towed it home and when the load was off the engine it ran ok again. I'm guessing its a fuel filter. Any suggestions?
Old August 22nd, 2018, 7:42 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by ranchodelux
I have a 2004 Silverado 4x4 extended cab (two big doors, two little doors) with 75,000 miles. It began to occasionally loose power when the gas gauge fell below one quarter. It acted like a classic case of a plugged fuel filter. Chugging on hills or with a loaded horse trailer. Then the problem began to show up when the tank was fuller or the load was less. Outside temperature doesn't seem to matter. The problem used to go away entirely when you fill the tank above one fourth. I believe there is an RPM governor that cuts the engine out at about 3,000 RPM and when this problem occurs the engine never raps above about 1,000 RPM. If the fuel filter is a lifetime filter, does this mean it shouldnt plug? I took it to the Chevy garage and they couldnt get the problem to occur when they were trying to diagnose it but they did not seem to subscribe to the plugged filter theory. Last night I was below a fourth, pulling a trailer with one horse on rolling hills and it finally quit altogether for the first time. I was able to restart it but not get above about 750 RPM. We towed it home and when the load was off the engine it ran ok again. I'm guessing its a fuel filter. Any suggestions?
I believe there is a fuel pressure issue. And yes the in tank filter can be a cause. So, I would hook a pressure gauge up and observe. A regulator issue is very possible too. It may not be holding the recommended fuel pressure under load.
Old August 22nd, 2018, 7:53 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

good save but a little to late