Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

fuel issue? need help getting my truck going again!!

Search this Thread

Old March 5th, 2013, 11:05 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fuel issue? need help getting my truck going again!!

the other day i was driving my truck down the road 60mph for about 20miles then all of a sudden motor shuts down on me. pull over try to start it but nothing motor will crank and crank but wont fire for me. i can hear the fuel pump working (will stay on for a long time sometimes not sure if this is good or bad). yes the truck has fuel in it a half tank it seems like its not getting fuel to the motor i dont want to take it to a shop i like working on my stuff myself but im a noob when it comes to these fuel issues! i was going to replace the relays under the hood tmrw for the fuel system and try to work my way from there, but any help is greatly appreciated what could it be? fuel pressure regulator? something else?

truck is a 1991 silverado 288k 4x4 350 tbi
Old March 6th, 2013, 5:10 AM
CF Active Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If the engine turns over but will not start, this usually means that either the engine is not producing a spark at the sparkplugs or fuel is not being delivered to the engine. Common causes for no spark are a weak battery, indicated by a slow-turning starter, a faulty ignition coil or a wet ignition system. Less common problems are faulty sparkplugs, broken or disconnected coil wires or broken wires in the ignition system. There may be fuel delivery problem is usually caused by a clogged fuel filter, no fuel in the tank or a faulty fuel pump. Once you determine that the filter is fine, and there are no electrical relay or connector issues, the next step is testing and/or replacing the fuel pump.
Old March 6th, 2013, 12:34 PM
CF Monarch

Received 337 Likes on 318 Posts

When was the last time you changed the fuel filter? That is not hard to do and relatively cheap to buy. Do a fuel pressure test to see if you are getting the correct pressure. If you think the fuel filter is clogged, do the test after changing the filter.