Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Fuel pressure issue?

Search this Thread

Old December 1st, 2013, 9:25 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel pressure issue?

I have a 2001 1500LS 5.3L truck with a very intermittently will not start issue. It occurs once in 10-15 trips to the store but when it does not want to start, it will at times take up to 10min - 60min for it to decide to start again?

When is does not want to start I have found the fuel pressure at 0 psi, otherwise the fuel pressure is normal and the truck runs fine. The fuel regulator is not showing signs of fuel leakage in the vacuum hose, and I have cleaned the ground wires on the driver’s side rear fender well location. I have checked the condition of the harness connector and used dielectric grease in the connector and it looks fine?

This is a used truck that I recently acquired so I do not know the repair history of the truck and presume it could have been dumped on the used market due to this problem. It would be nice to know if the fuel pump was recently replaced but I don't know. Where should I go from here? Change out the fuel pressure regulator in hopes that is the cause? Since the fuel pressure is there when it behaves, but isn't when it won't start leads me to think it’s the fuel pump, but that is an expensive shotgun repair. Any experience greatly appreciated.

Old December 1st, 2013, 10:01 AM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

when the fault is active; can you hear the fp prime for 2seconds at key on?

if not and you have power to the fuel pump wiring harness. change the fp