Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Fuel Pump

Search this Thread

Old January 21st, 2014, 2:24 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Pump

Hello everyone,
It has just not been a good week for my poor truck lol..I have know for a few months now that my fuel pump was going bad in my 02 Chevy Silverado but I made the grave mistake of trying to wait to fix it. This morning the pump died on me. Besides dropping the fuel tank, does anyone know how difficult replacing the pump is?
My next question, I googled 02 Chevy Silverado 5.3 4x4 fuel pump and found some that are very cheap. I am skeptical about buying one of these because I am not sure they are even the right pump for my truck. Does anyone know how reliable partsgeek or 1A Auto are? Thank you for any advice
Old January 21st, 2014, 5:02 PM
CF Active Member

Its not a hard job if you have three or four strong guys to help. I would take the bed off the truck instead of dropping tank. 8 bolts, a few quick disconnect wires at the rear of truck, undo the fuel inlet hose and lift off. The pump itself is held in by a clamp, you need a good size hammer and a blunt chisel to knock the clamp loose. As for the pump I would use A/C Delco or Delphi type pump and anything not made in China. Search E-Bay, I found one for less than $140. You might consider replacing the Evap cannister valve located just forward of fuel tank. They do go bad and cause alot of headaches if not replaced. Also new pumps come with a new connector which must be wired in place of old connector. I would solder the new connector and use shrink tubing to seal the connection. Rockauto. partqeek and others have option of buying a cheap pump to the best. i have 3 Silverados and have done this twice before. Any other questions send me a private message

Last edited by ToooTall1; January 21st, 2014 at 5:12 PM.
Old January 24th, 2014, 3:19 PM
CF Beginner

Well my pump came in the mail today, I still think i'm going to drop the tank to put it in.
Old January 24th, 2014, 6:25 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Welcome to the forum...
+1 on going with an ACDelco one, many of the aftermarket ones will only last 6 months to a year
Dropping the tank is very do-able, however you may need a few special tools to release the fuel lines, nothing expensive or fancy , but they do help release the connections without damaging the line or connector..
Youtube is your friend on how-to's on the pump replacement...
Both fuel tank and removing the bed are viable options....
Let us know how it goes and please do follow up with any questions you have !
Old January 25th, 2014, 8:11 PM
CF Junior Member

i had to replace the float in my fuel tank cuz the sensor fingers that ran along the sensor bar got brittle and broke off.. it was pretty easy, just get a floor jack and put a board on it. then raise it up so that it is barely lifting the tank up. release all the brackets and clamps and then slowly lower the jack, as it goes down unhook the tubes and hoses once they are easily visible.. super easy!
Old January 26th, 2014, 5:32 AM
CF Monarch

Received 337 Likes on 318 Posts

Please remember to lower the tank with very little gas in it. Do not try this with a full tank. Hopefully you did not buy one of the cheap pumps. They usually do not last very long and for the work involved to change it, the cheap ones are not worth it.
Old January 26th, 2014, 2:01 PM
CF Junior Member

I lifted the bed on my 2003 Chevy 2500HD. Did it mostly by myself so I had to use a jack and boards to shim the bed up and out of the way. You have to disconnect some of the wiring to the rear lights (this allows for ease of movement of the bed) and the gas tank filler hose (gas cap area) that connects to the bed. My hose wouldn't come off so I was limited to working in a very tight space. Which worked out better since I later realized that pulling the bed completely off would have just been more work than necessary.
I recommend getting several strong people to help you. Having someone there to help lift is a big help plus a good for safety. Once my buddy arrived it was a big help. Us two guys were able to move the bed around easier with out having to use the jack, etc.

FYI - Partsgeek and 1a Auto have reliable parts and very few shipping errors however their prices are usually a little higher. 1A Auto usually has some "how to" videos available for making various repairs.

Make sure to torque the bed bolts when you put it back together.

Good luck with it!
Old January 28th, 2014, 3:52 PM
CF Beginner

I ended up just dropping the tank. It was surprisingly easy. The only thing I wasn't expecting was that I had to rewire the plug for the pump.
Old January 28th, 2014, 4:42 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Color coded though so not to bad right? Done it both ways, removed the bed or dropped the tank. Just depends on what kind of help you have or how much gas you have lol.
Old January 29th, 2014, 2:41 PM
CF Junior Member

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Chevygirl4x4
I ended up just dropping the tank. It was surprisingly easy. The only thing I wasn't expecting was that I had to rewire the plug for the pump.
Cool deal! Did the gas tank filler hose give you any problems? Mine was a big time PITA so I ended up having to lift the bed.

Originally Posted by country_09
Color coded though so not to bad right? Done it both ways, removed the bed or dropped the tank. Just depends on what kind of help you have or how much gas you have lol.
Roger to the color coded! And to the gas tank, nothing like trying to hold up and manuever a heavy tank in your hands. LOL