Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Fuel pumps

Old March 18th, 2014, 10:24 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel pumps

After doing the cam and crank sensor the 2000 Silverado 1500 5.3 engine still won't start. Do fuel pumps go out all at once? We were driving on the freeway and all of a sudden nothing, the truck just quit. We'd wait awhile it would start and then quit after awhile. We'd wait and it would start. Now it won't even start. So I am thinking that leaves the fuel pump. Replaced the fuel filter already. What do you think? Thanks in advance.
Old March 19th, 2014, 9:01 AM
CF Senior Member

Yep I would say fuel pump. My 99 did the same thing when one day it wouldn't start but then I let it sit and it fired up, but one day coming home from work i was just driving and then nothing and the truck just shut down on me. When these fuel pumps go they go at once. I pulled the bed off when I did mine because I found it easier then dropping the tank. When I did mine it was pretty easy all together. Let us know if you have troubles or anything and once again I think it is definitely your fuel pump.

Also if you want to check, just get some one to turn the key to the on position and you put your ear against the gas tank or near the fill tube and listen for that fuel pump. You not going to hear anything if it is bad.
Old March 19th, 2014, 10:23 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Fishinfooleric10@aol.com
Yep I would say fuel pump. My 99 did the same thing when one day it wouldn't start but then I let it sit and it fired up, but one day coming home from work i was just driving and then nothing and the truck just shut down on me. When these fuel pumps go they go at once. I pulled the bed off when I did mine because I found it easier then dropping the tank. When I did mine it was pretty easy all together. Let us know if you have troubles or anything and once again I think it is definitely your fuel pump.

Also if you want to check, just get some one to turn the key to the on position and you put your ear against the gas tank or near the fill tube and listen for that fuel pump. You not going to hear anything if it is bad.
Thanks for the info, after changing everything else we sort of figured it was that, but needed someone to verify that they just go at once. So now it's time to move on. lol We had a flat bed put on ours because we haul alot of hay, 4x8 boards etc. Thanks again for verifying what we thought. Always helps to know you are on the right track. lol
Old March 19th, 2014, 11:30 AM
CF Active Member

Default Fuel Pump

Make sure you buy a good pump Delphi, A/c Delco and not some chinese crap that you'll be changing again in a year or less. Anyway I have 3 Silverado's and have replaced the pump on 2 of them. I removed the bed as it was easier to do the repair. New pumps come with a new connector that you have to wire in place. I soldiered and shrink wraped each electrical line and then shrink tubing over the group of wires to weather protect it. I also replace the evap selenoid with the updated one as they are prone to fail. I checked E-bay for my parts and got them a lot cheaper than local stealers and parts stores. Just shop around for the best price.
Old March 19th, 2014, 1:20 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Fishinfooleric10@aol.com

I was wondering is there a way to tell if it might be the computer that is bad and not the fuel pump?
Old March 19th, 2014, 2:04 PM
CF Monarch

Received 335 Likes on 316 Posts

You can do a fuel pressure test to see if the pump is producing the correct pressure.
Old March 19th, 2014, 2:13 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by oldchevy
You can do a fuel pressure test to see if the pump is producing the correct pressure.
I looked up the testers, there are so many lol. Do you have one you would recommend that doesn't cost an arm and a leg? lol This is the one I was looking at.
OTC 5630 Fuel Pressure Test Kit : Amazon.com : Automotive OTC 5630 Fuel Pressure Test Kit : Amazon.com : Automotive
what do you think?

Last edited by pdpo222; March 19th, 2014 at 8:09 PM.
Old March 20th, 2014, 11:27 AM
CF Monarch

Received 335 Likes on 316 Posts

That isn't that terrible. Check out Ebay, they have them for less money and for more. A wide selection of testers.
Old March 20th, 2014, 11:37 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by oldchevy
That isn't that terrible. Check out Ebay, they have them for less money and for more. A wide selection of testers.
No that price isn't bad, just not sure if that will work. One person said yes because it is 100 psi. I just have to make sure what we get will work on the truck. There are 60 psi which one person said won't work on the Silverado cause the psi wasn't high enough. I don't mind buying it, just want the right one. lol
Old March 21st, 2014, 10:44 AM
CF Senior Member

You can rent a fuel pressure tester at autozone for about $150 and then when you bring it back they will give you all your money back. This is an option if you don't want to own a fuel pressure tester. Also, they are available at just about all the autopart stores.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Fuel pumps