Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Old August 11th, 2015, 1:50 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: General Overview
Print Wikipost

Future Mechanical Repairs?

Search this Thread

Old October 13th, 2013, 7:19 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Future Mechanical Repairs?

A year ago (in 2012), I bought a 2007 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LS (4.8L 2wd gas) with about 75,000 miles. It now has about 89,000 miles. Since I didn’t know what maintenance had been performed prior to owning it, I’ve a lot of regular and preventative maintenance in the last year. It’s looking and running great! I’ve caught up on all the maintenance and am now looking forward to the next year or two. My question is what mechanical parts would anyone “guess” or know might be coming up to replace, fix, etc? I have the suggested maintenance schedule from the owner’s manual and am performing those items. I’m interested in trying to identify future mechanical hardware items to fix and am considering stock piling a couple of parts to have one hand when the time comes. Here’s a list of parts that I’ve thought of so far as well as a list of what I’ve maintained/repaired.

Considering buying:
• Starter
• Alternator
• Water Pump
• Spark Plug Wires
• Oxygen Sensors

Done so far:
• Oil and filter – changed to full synthetic, extended mileage.
• Battery – new, 3-year battery.
• Alternator – checked. Charging correctly.
• Transmission Fluid / Filter / Gasket – replaced / new.
• Differential Fluid / Gasket – replaced.
• Power Steering Fluid – replaced.
• Brake Fluid – bled / replaced.
• Brake Pads – new.
• Brake Shoes – new.
• Spark plugs – new.
• Air Filter – new.
• Throttle body – cleaned and performed relearn procedure for idle control.
• MAS – cleaned.
• Belts – replaced serpentine and AC belts.
• Tensioner – replaced AC belt tensioner.
• Tire Pressure Sensors – previous owner took them out. Replaced with new and performed relearn procedure.
Old October 13th, 2013, 10:33 AM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Nice comprehensive list

Might want to add to that list shocks / struts
Inspect motor and transmission mounts.
inspect/lube or replace if dried out , sway bar bushings...
inspect/lube u-joints
at 5 years old, I would replace the hoses and coolant...
consider cleaned and lubricating all door seals with silicon lubricant
Lube all hinges and lock/latch mechanisms with lithium grease..

I could go on....
Old October 13th, 2013, 2:35 PM
CF Beginner

Please do go on...

I didn't list all I that I did, but I've:
- Replaced the sway bar bushings (they were not even there anymore)
- Replaced the lower coolant line (top one looks good)
- I'm replacing a three-way hose attached to the coolant reservoir (minor leak)
- conditioned all door seals with 3M pure silicone paste lubricant
- lubed all hinges / locks with lithium or powdered graphite
- among other things

I'll have to figure out your suggestions about inspecting/lube U-joints, shocks / struts, motor / trans mounts (thanks for the suggestions). What do you think about the list of mechanical parts I'm considering buying? I'm trying to figure out what could wear out next and have some time so shop for replacement equipment.
Old October 13th, 2013, 2:53 PM
Administrator

I wouldn't suggest purchasing and "stocking" them until needed, as that can be an expensive venture if for what ever reason you get a defective part and by the time you need it, the warranty has expired... and it is plausible that you may never need them....
Unless you are located in the sticks, most on-line retailers (i.e. Amazon) can have the parts in your hands in 24 hrs....
I have gone thru Amazon and located a lot of the parts for my truck and put them in my cart and "saved for later" It gives me instant access to current prices and part numbers same goes for Rock Auto

For planned maintenance, you can't beat having the parts delivered to your door...

Here are just a few examples:
ACDelco 748RR Spark Plug Wire Kit : Amazon.com : Automotive ACDelco 748RR Spark Plug Wire Kit : Amazon.com : Automotive

ACDelco A3085C Air Filter Element : Amazon.com : Automotive ACDelco A3085C Air Filter Element : Amazon.com : Automotive

Amazon.com: ACDelco 15-74023 GM Original Equipment HVAC Control Panel: Automotive Amazon.com: ACDelco 15-74023 GM Original Equipment HVAC Control Panel: Automotive

ACDelco 41-110 Professional Iridium Spark Plug, Pack of 1 : Amazon.com : Automotive ACDelco 41-110 Professional Iridium Spark Plug, Pack of 1 : Amazon.com : Automotive
Old October 14th, 2013, 7:06 PM
CF Beginner

Are you related to mywife? Need things to worry about. You have done a good job of PM, relax. It will tell you when it needs something.
Old October 15th, 2013, 6:29 PM
CF Beginner

Ok, Grumpy. Some of us continue to learn throughout life. I am one of those. Autos have never been a concern of mine. I've discovered that they are extremely interesting in every aspect. If I were related to your wife, I certainly would not want to hang out with you. Bye.
Old October 15th, 2013, 10:25 PM
Administrator

I think retired wrench's comment was meant to be interpreted as scarcasum, and not a jib at you... as I can relate to the worrying wife..they want to make sure they have every base covered
Old October 16th, 2013, 5:02 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thought about checking hubs, tie rods, ball joints? Don't really need to be replaced at these lower miles but a good look over is all that's needed.
Old October 16th, 2013, 5:47 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks for the ideas of things to check.

I am more interested in learning more about the mechanical systems, parts, or whatever, not worrying like retired wrench above is suggesting. I've taken an ok running used truck back to the point of running practically like new. I'm amazed at how well it's running. Now that I've brought it to this point, it's become a pleasant hobby to learn more and more. After owning a new, Ford King Ranch for a few years plagued with a few significant problems (mostly covered by warranty), it's great to have a Chevrolet. Personally, I find them relatively easy to work on and enjoyable to own.

I've learned a lot from this forum, repair manuals, manufacturers, various internet sites, knowledgeable friends, and, yes, a couple of retired mechanic neighbors.
Old October 16th, 2013, 5:49 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks for the responses. I'm unsubscribing to this particular thread.

Quick Reply: Future Mechanical Repairs?