Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Gas Mileage

Search this Thread

Old April 9th, 2012, 12:32 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gas Mileage

I have a Silverado LS 4.8 engine ext. cab 2011 model. I have 4800 miles on this truck and my gas mileage is around 13.5 mpg in town and around 15.5 mpg on the road, is this it or will it get any better ? Also have trouble putting gas in it, have to use a very slow flow rate or it will trip the nozzle, is this normal ?
Old April 9th, 2012, 2:05 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> warrennw,

The EPA mpg for the 2011 Chevrolet Silverado 4.8L 8 cyl, automatic 4-speed using regular gasoline is 14mpg city / 16mpg highway / 19mpg combined.

Driving for Better Fuel Economy

Driving habits can affect fuel mileage. Here are some driving tips to get the best fuel economy possible.

- Avoid fast starts and accelerate smoothly.

- Brake gradually and avoid abrupt stops.

- Avoid idling the engine for long periods of time.

- When road and weather conditions are appropriate, use cruise control.

- Always follow posted speed limits or drive more slowly when conditions require.

- Keep vehicle tires properly inflated.

- Combine several trips into a single trip.

- Replace the vehicle's tires with the same TPC Spec number molded into the tire's sidewall near the size.

- Follow recommended scheduled maintenance.

The slow fueling issue may be caused by a kind in the fuel tank vent hose. This is just a suggestion, not a diagnosis. I encourage you to visit your certified technician for a quick inspection. They will be able to offer additional information after physically inspecting the vehicle.

I hope this information is useful. If you have any additional questions, please feel free to contact me.

Louis
GM Customer Service
Old April 9th, 2012, 4:18 PM
CF Beginner

Default gas mileage

I am looking at the sticker that came off my truck and it says 14 mpg city and 19 mpg highway, expected range for most drivers ia 15-23 mpg hwy, I just did break the 15 mpg number on two long road trips. Know someone with the same truck but a 2010 year and he routinely gets 17 and 18 on the road.
Old April 9th, 2012, 4:32 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Drivin style is the number one reason gas mileage isn't the same in 2 exact same trucks...a tune will help for sure, but then you'll be givin it has everywhere so that negates the reason for gettin a tune
Old April 9th, 2012, 6:30 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a 2004 Silverado 1500 (extended cab & long bed) with the 5.3L V8. I consistently get 15 to 16 miles per gallon in driving that is 60 percent highway and 40 percent local/city. My truck has 17" wheels (shod with 265-70 Michelin tires), a 3.73:1 axle ratio, towing package and Flowmaster mufflers. My truck is 2wd.

The worst I ever got was 13 (during a lot of slow driving in congested traffic near Myrtle Beach, SC) mpg and the best was 18.5 mpg during one stretch of a trip to Michigan two summers ago.

I'd think that the 4.8L would do better for you than my 5.3L does for me; but there are many factors involved -- not the least of which is driving habits and the maintenance on the truck. I have a lead foot much of the time, but my truck has recent spark plugs & wires, I have done a "BG Service" on the fuel injectors and I use Mobil-1 5w30 synthetic oil & change it frequently (every 3,000 to 3,500 miles).

In some markets, including my area of VA, gasoline contains 10 percent ethanol (E10) - and ethanol has a lower BTU content than does gasoline. This has a negative effect on fuel mileage. They say that E10 burns cleaner, but it is hard to see how that is good for the environment if you are burning more of it. My guess is that its usage is a payback to the corn/agriculture lobby for past political donations.

If you bought a Silverado to be an economy car, you made a mistake. On the other hand, if you want a reliable, sturdy, long-lasting and durable vehicle that will outlast the payment book, then you made a wise choice. For "fun" and rugged dependability, I have my Silverado. For economy and commuting, I rely on my 2002 Nissan Sentra - as it uses HALF the fuel of the pickup truck!
Old April 9th, 2012, 6:33 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

P.S. You say you only have 4800 miles on your truck. That's barely broken in, sir. I have 102,000+ on mine and she kicks like a mule. Again, proper maintenance is the key. It is likely (but not definite) that you will see a slight increase in fuel economy by the time you hit 10,000 to 15,000 miles. Try to find "ethanol free" gasoline if you can. That will give you a slight boost in gas mileage.
Old April 10th, 2012, 1:47 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have not found the cumulative MPG on my 2011 to be accurate. If I drive 10 miles in town where I get 15.2 MPG and then drive 30 miles on the highway where I am getting 19.5 MPG the dash MPG will show something like 15.5 MPG which cannot be correct.

I think the only way to get an accurate figure is to fill up, drive until 3/4 tank is gone and then refuel and do the math yourself.

You can help the MPG a little by leaving the tailgate down or adding a cap or tonneau cover over the bed.

But you have a 7,000 lb. truck so gas mileage is not going to be great. Good idea to use GasBuddy.com - Find Low Gas Prices in the USA and Canada to pay as little as possible for gas in your area or where you travel.
Old April 11th, 2012, 9:36 AM
CF Beginner

Default gas mileage

Only have 4800 miles on truck so the suggestion of a tune up is out of the question I hope, have a bed cover as someone suggested, I am 66 years old so I drive like a Paw Paw, no jack rabbit starts or tire sliding stops either. I jut got rid of a 07 Avalanche 5.3 with 125,000 miles and it got 16-17 mpg in town and 19-20 on the road from new to when I traded, thats the main reason I'm concerned with the 13-15 mpg I'm getting with the 4.8 truck I traded for.
Old April 11th, 2012, 10:10 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by warrennw
Only have 4800 miles on truck so the suggestion of a tune up is out of the question I hope, have a bed cover as someone suggested, I am 66 years old so I drive like a Paw Paw, no jack rabbit starts or tire sliding stops either. I jut got rid of a 07 Avalanche 5.3 with 125,000 miles and it got 16-17 mpg in town and 19-20 on the road from new to when I traded, thats the main reason I'm concerned with the 13-15 mpg I'm getting with the 4.8 truck I traded for.

I have two suggestions:

1) Your Paw Paw driving style may actually be a bigger issue with MPG than you realize for a number of reasons. Sure it may have worked in your last vehicle, but your new vehicle has a new personality. I've found a little more of the skinny pedal so that it speeds up and shifts out can improve my MPG by as much as 1.5 around town. Yes I drive a Duramax, but the same held true with my last truck (which was gas). Lower gears consume more gas per mile than getting it to shift into higher gears!

2) Try using a difference brand of gas for awhile. It may also just be they are transitioning from winter to summer fuels in your area. Summer fuels in some states are oxigenated and often produce lower MPG than winter fuels. It may also have to do with additives by any given fuel vendor.

Roger
Old June 14th, 2012, 2:02 PM
CF Beginner

Hey guys can I get some feedback from this thread? I am looking for a Crew and I am not going to be doing towing. It is mostly going to be a weekend getaway truck and a family vehicle for the room and bed for MULCH, ROCKS and all kinds of work that I do around my house. So that might be able to gauge you at what I am looking for. I live in Northeast PA and mostly back country hilly roads and highway. Most speeds are 35-45 in the country and slower… I would like to get the best Fuel Economy that I possibly can. Here are 4 TRUCKS I am looking at and their set ups. Let me know what you think is best for MPG's.

You can rate them all if you can.

#1, #2, #3, #4

#1 2008 Silverado Crew LT - 41,000 Miles ($23,499)
LC9 – ENGINE FLEXIBLE FUEL,(GAS/ALC),8 CYL,5.3L,SFI,ALUM CYL DEACT,GM 5.3-3 FLEX FUEL W/CYL DEACTVN/AFM(LC9)
M30 – TRANSMISSION,AUTOMATIC 4 SPEED,4L60E,ELECTRONIC 4-SPD A/TRANS(M30)
GT4 – AXLE,REAR,3.73 RATIO 3.73R(GT4)

#2 2008 Silverado Crew LT - 64,000 Miles ($21,499)
LH6 – ENGINE,5.3L(323CID) GAS V8 5.3-M ALUM W/CYL DEACTIVATION(LH6)
GT4 – AXLE,REAR,3.73 RATIO 3.73R(GT4)

#3 2009 Sierra Crew SLE - 52,000 Miles ($23,999)
LC9 – ENGINE FLEXIBLE FUEL,(GAS/ALC),8 CYL,5.3L,SFI,ALUM CYL DEACT,GM 5.3-3 FLEX FUEL W/CYL DEACTVN/AFM(LC9)
MYC – TRANSMISSION AUTO 6 SPD, HMD, 6L-80 6-SPD A/TRANS(MYC)
GU6 – AXLE,REAR,3.42 RATIO 3.42R(GU6)

#4 2007 Silverado Crew LT - 70,000 Miles ($20,999)
LY2 – ENGINE GAS, 8 CYL, 4.8L, SFI, IRON, CYLINDER DEACTIVATION GM 4.8C W/CYL DEACTVN(LY2)
GU6 – AXLE,REAR,3.42 RATIO 3.42R(GU6)

Quick Reply: Gas Mileage