Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx
Old July 24th, 2015, 6:01 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community expertsBrowse all: Engine and Powertrain
Print Wikipost

GM Dexcool Anti-Freeze/Coolant

Search this Thread

Old March 8th, 2010, 7:18 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just flushed and changed my 2001 Silverado to Prestone. 112,000 mi and the heater wasn't working properly after that works like a champ!
Old March 8th, 2010, 7:48 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Dexcool v Prestone

Bobby,

How did you get all of the 'orange' stuff out? When you put in the Prestone coolant, does it show yellow/green in the reservoir - or is it still orange?

How many gallons did it take? Did you buy the pre-mixed stuff or did you add water?

I'l flush mine out soon - within a few weeks, I suppose; and I am leaning towards keeping Dexcool in my '04 Silverado - but will probably change it every other year (just to be safe).
Old March 9th, 2010, 6:17 AM
CF Junior Member

I drained the radiator put in one bottle of Prestone Flush and ran 10 miin. after it reached normal operating temp. Drained it and repeated procedure. After that I drained and put in a bottle of Prestone cleaner and ran it for a total of 3 hrs. I then drained it and filled with just water and ran it about 10 mins. drained and repeated that. Then filled with 70 - 30 mix and it's good to go. Yes it is green now.
flush twice
clean once
flush plain water twice
Then fill with proper mix it took about 3 gals. total I went 2 antifreez, one water probably overkill for my climate, 50 - 50 is probably ok unless you are in a cold climate
It took me a good portion of a Sat. afternoon to do the flush & clean then ater driving around the next afternoon to finish up.
I am not a mechanic and money is tight right now so I have begun doing as much of my own maint. as I can. Local shops wanted around $150-$200 to do what I did and I spent less than $50 on everything and Prestone even had a rebate on one jug of antifreez so net cost is about $30.I aso changed the oil in 3 of my vehicles while doing this saved about another $50 over what I have been spending plus there is a lot of satisfaction in doing it yourself.

Last edited by Bobby; March 9th, 2010 at 6:21 AM.
Old March 9th, 2010, 7:36 AM
CF Active Member

Originally Posted by Bobby
I drained the radiator put in one bottle of Prestone Flush and ran 10 miin. after it reached normal operating temp. Drained it and repeated procedure. After that I drained and put in a bottle of Prestone cleaner and ran it for a total of 3 hrs. I then drained it and filled with just water and ran it about 10 mins. drained and repeated that. Then filled with 70 - 30 mix and it's good to go. Yes it is green now.
flush twice
clean once
flush plain water twice
Then fill with proper mix it took about 3 gals. total I went 2 antifreez, one water probably overkill for my climate, 50 - 50 is probably ok unless you are in a cold climate
It took me a good portion of a Sat. afternoon to do the flush & clean then ater driving around the next afternoon to finish up.
I am not a mechanic and money is tight right now so I have begun doing as much of my own maint. as I can. Local shops wanted around $150-$200 to do what I did and I spent less than $50 on everything and Prestone even had a rebate on one jug of antifreez so net cost is about $30.I aso changed the oil in 3 of my vehicles while doing this saved about another $50 over what I have been spending plus there is a lot of satisfaction in doing it yourself.
$150-200 seems high for a coolant flush.
Old March 9th, 2010, 10:00 PM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by tsduke
$150-200 seems high for a coolant flush.
Have you priced one lately? That was the range in looking online, besides I know how much time I had in mine and what supplies cost even with some sort of machine to do it I don't think that is an unreasonable amount.
Just my thoughts
Old March 9th, 2010, 10:14 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

did you cut your heat on when you flushed it? and you are not that far from me only about an hour I am in winterville just outside of greenville

Last edited by 992door; March 9th, 2010 at 10:17 PM.
Old March 9th, 2010, 10:14 PM
CF Active Member

Have you priced one lately? That was the range in looking online, besides I know how much time I had in mine and what supplies cost even with some sort of machine to do it I don't think that is an unreasonable amount.
Just my thoughts
The Chevy service shop here threw me a number last week. I could have sworn it was just over $100.
Old March 10th, 2010, 6:35 AM
CF Junior Member

Yes Cameron I did that was the main reason I did it the heater wasn't heating up as well as it should, and Iwanted to make sure the core got a good flushing also.

TS you may have gotten a price that low but I can't see how anyone could do what I did and make any money at a price like that. I spent $44 on antifreeze flush and cleaner plus a total of about 3 hrs in labor. The way I did it I know it was a thorough flush.
Old March 10th, 2010, 6:40 AM
CF Active Member

Yes Cameron I did that was the main reason I did it the heater wasn't heating up as well as it should, and Iwanted to make sure the core got a good flushing also.

TS you may have gotten a price that low but I can't see how anyone could do what I did and make any money at a price like that. I spent $44 on antifreeze flush and cleaner plus a total of about 3 hrs in labor. The way I did it I know it was a thorough flush.
Just to clairify. I'm not arguing the cost at all. Was just surprised to hear it was that high is all.
Old March 10th, 2010, 7:42 AM
CF Active Member

Okay, it was bugging me so I called the Chevy garage to ask the price. $109.95 for Dexcool flush in the Silverado.

Quick Reply: GM Dexcool Anti-Freeze/Coolant