Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Old July 24th, 2015, 6:01 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community expertsBrowse all: Engine and Powertrain
Print Wikipost

GM Dexcool Anti-Freeze/Coolant

Old March 10th, 2010, 11:06 AM
Super Moderator

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I've got an '04 Silverado,86,000 miles, the original Dexcool is still clean, and honestly, with all the horror stories I've heard about it, I'm afeared to touch it till it goes bad. I'd just let sleeping dogs lie, for now.
Old March 10th, 2010, 4:17 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by therewolf
I've got an '04 Silverado,86,000 miles, the original Dexcool is still clean, and honestly, with all the horror stories I've heard about it, I'm afeared to touch it till it goes bad. I'd just let sleeping dogs lie, for now.
That is when problems are caused. Dont let it go bad, get old then it starts causing problems. I would change it around 100k or so i think that is about how long it is suppose to be good for
Old March 10th, 2010, 6:34 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ts what do you get for that price? Is it just a drain and flush with water and new coolant added? I'm not trying to argue about any of it either, I am self employed and in my industry there are alot of varibles in the service. As I said earlier 2 flushes with Prestone flush and then Prestone cleaner, flush twice with just water then coolant. I may have gone overkill but you know the old saying you can't put a price on peace of mind.
Old March 10th, 2010, 7:30 PM
CF Active Member

Originally Posted by Bobby
ts what do you get for that price? Is it just a drain and flush with water and new coolant added? I'm not trying to argue about any of it either, I am self employed and in my industry there are alot of varibles in the service. As I said earlier 2 flushes with Prestone flush and then Prestone cleaner, flush twice with just water then coolant. I may have gone overkill but you know the old saying you can't put a price on peace of mind.
It's a machine flush. One tube in, one tube out. I believe it has some pressure to it. Looks like it would work pretty good.
Old October 27th, 2020, 8:52 PM
CF Beginner

Default Dexcool is a good coolant, if you service every 150,000 miles.

Originally Posted by tsduke
It's a machine flush. One tube in, one tube out. I believe it has some pressure to it. Looks like it would work pretty good.
Bought my 2013, 3500 HD dually brand new.I have 298,000 miles on my 6.0 litre vortec. OEM original water pump and thermostat. Replaced radiator and hoses at 200,000 miles. Mobile One full synthetic oil changes, doesn't burn any oil either. I service truck per owners manual specs. Transmission replacement at 190,000 miles. The truck is a work horse hauling and towing for Hot Shot business. I'll keep it until I die. Chevy 3500 Silverado is tough as nails, as long as you follow "all the service recommended in owners manual." Don't forget the 9 grease fittings on the front end steering components.
Old January 3rd, 2021, 8:53 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by gotstylez
He said that the rear differential change would run either $39 or $59, depending upon whether or not it requires synthetic oil. They'd have to run the VIN to be sure. That's something I would not do myself - as I don't have any way to suction it out of there.

you dont suction it out. you unscrew the bolts take off the cover and let it drain. if u can do a oil change then u can SURE do this. its VERY easy plus to put it backa ll you do is buy some gasket maker and put it on the corver screw it back together and pour new diff fluid in. very easy.
I f you have the G80 rear end with the locker, GM says to only use synthetic 75w90 that does not contain any LS additive. The only place I could find that was at the dealer. GM says the LS, ( limited slip) additive could make the locker not work properly and shorten its life. The only place I could find any gear lube to meet that spec was from the dealer.