Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Gurgling or boiling sound under dash?

Search this Thread

Old January 11th, 2007, 1:55 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gurgling or boiling sound under dash?

I recently made a 2000+ mile trip in my Silverado and at the end of the trip I noticed that upon acceleration from a stop their is a 'gurgling' sound or the sound boiling water makes coming from the passenger side under the dash. The sound disappears when I reach cruzing speed. Anyone had this happen or any suggestions of what this could be?

Obviously its coolant making the noise, but could there be a problem in the heater core? One person I talk to said it could be the temp valve is stuck and there is an air gap and the sound is the coolant rushing through the valve to fill the gap. Does this sound right? If so what’s the fix?
Thanks in advance,
Mike
Old January 11th, 2007, 7:47 PM
CF Pro Member

Default RE: Gurgling or boiling sound under dash?

Did you have any work done to the cooling system ? Sounds like air trapped in the system.
Old January 12th, 2007, 7:20 AM
CF Senior Member

Even if the valve was stuck you shouldn't have any air in the heater core, but that is what it sounds like to me. Or it may just be the water pump speeding up and pushing the coolant thru. You may want to look at it a little more closely to make sure it dosen't have a small crack. That could pull air into the system.
Old September 12th, 2007, 1:17 PM
CF Beginner

I have just recently started having the same problem in my 2001 s10 manual 4.3 blazer. I also noticed that my oil pressure was rising pretty as the gurgling sound occurred. I dont really have any experience fixing automobiles so any help would be nice. Where should I check to see if there is a crack.

Have you been able to fix this problem?
Old September 25th, 2007, 9:32 PM
CF Beginner

Is your low coolant light on? Mine started doing the same exact thing (02 2500HD) and it drove me nuts. I took it in and they replaced the low coolant sensor (and the bottle) and changed the coolant. They said "it" was leaking and shorted out the sensor. Maybe allowing air to get in there I guess. But no more problems now. Should've just bought the bottle and done it myself but they were replacing a loose catalytic converter (warranty!) at the same time.
Good luck.
Old September 26th, 2007, 10:32 AM
CF Pro Member

ORIGINAL: dsullins85

I also noticed that my oil pressure was rising pretty as the gurgling sound occurred.
Oil pressure ??? or Temperature ???
Old November 12th, 2007, 8:47 PM
CF Beginner

I drive a 2001Silverado and just started hearing this noise as well. Did you ever find out what the problem was?
Old August 26th, 2014, 7:01 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

this worked for me, got rid of gurgle.

i got a PRESTONE garden hose flush kit (has adapters+hose clamps). installed it at highest point (with upward pull) on hose that goes from upper engine to heater core.

filled it there and got a burp. later ran engine (FROM COLD) with cap off, after a cough of fluid, level slowly rose as if i were filling at old style radiator cap with funnel. (unsure if part 2 was necessary)

started, no gurgle, drove, no gurgle. change climate, no gurgle. only with a good rev did i hear a slight noise (it was as bad as any gurgle before). and all said and done took only minutes.

i think it's just a sunday repair issue, just noise. i think due to silverado 1500 design (hoses high) and block design that no air is trapped in engine (no overheat air pocket syndrom).

i've heard so many with same problem i assume (and hope) it's not head gasket (i believe i have no milky oil, sure no oil in coolant, can't see in (if bubble in coolant) (2/3 ?), already did intake gasket, there's no water on floor this worked for me, got rid of gurgle.

i got a PRESTONE garden hose flush kit. installed it at highest point (with upward pull) on hose that goes from upper engine to heater core.

filled it there and got a burp. later ran engine (FROM COLD) with cap off, after a cough of fluid, level slowly rose as if i were filling at old style radiator cap with funnel. (unsure if part 2 was necessary)

started, no gurgle, drove, no gurgle. change climate, no gurgle. only with a good rev did i hear a slight noise (it was as bad as any gurgle before)

i think it's just a sunday repair issue, just noise. i think due to silverado 1500 design (hoses high) and block design that no air is trapped in engine (no overheat air pocket syndrom).

i've heard so many with same problem i assume (and hope) it's not head gasket (i believe i have no milky oil (had some after intake repair but had spilled some coolant in - none on dipstick now i'm sure), sure no oil in coolant, can't see in (if bubble in coolant) (2/3 ?), already did intake gasket, there's no water on floor, unsure if air is getting in rad system from heater or hoses: that i'll know after i get the gurgle out if it comes back!)

hope that helps

Last edited by silverado 1500 2001; August 26th, 2014 at 7:04 PM.
Old August 26th, 2014, 11:16 PM
CF Veteran

Received 203 Likes on 177 Posts

Our 05 Sub did this when the water pump was failing and had a slow coolant leak. Let air in the system. Changed pump, problem gone.
Old August 27th, 2014, 7:22 AM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ah. i'd done the water pump in 2008 as a precaution because sometimes water pump weep holes don't weep (actually had coolant consumption). as i said above silverado has gurgling allot i think.

your right though on "just any engine compartment" things are definitely pan out different

Quick Reply: Gurgling or boiling sound under dash?