Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

hard shift when cold or tow/haul mode

Search this Thread

Old April 21st, 2008, 5:30 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hard shift when cold or tow/haul mode

Hey guys this is my first post so bear with me please. I have a 1999 siverado with a 5.3 . it shifts hard 1st to 2nd when it is cold (live in minnesota) when it warms up it shifts fine. if I put it in tow/haul mode it realy ****s hard when cold. I changed filter and fluid no help. truck only has 44,000 miles on it.
Old April 21st, 2008, 6:29 PM
Super Moderator

Default RE: hard shift when cold or tow/haul mode

Welcome to the forum!!! The hard shifting probably because the when the fluid is cold its like molasis in an igloo.And when its in tow mode it shifts harder/faster so the truck doesn't lose momentium while towing something heavy.
Old April 21st, 2008, 7:07 PM
CF Beginner

The hard shift is harsher then just being thick fluid in tow /haul it feels like it is slamming into gear, but works ok when warm
Old April 21st, 2008, 10:52 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I dont know about the cold cause I live in Phoenix but mine does shift harder in tow haul but I cant say it slams. I know there is something in the filter area that controls firmness due to the flow of the fluid but I cant remember what it is. Hopefully someone smarter than me will know more.
Old April 22nd, 2008, 9:19 AM
CF Active Member

Mine doesnt have a "hard" shift actuallly it seems barely noticable that it shifts at all. the tow haul mode is more noticable and i like the way it feels.

i dont know much about transmmisons but from what i have read the 4l60e trans is a weak trans. you might want have a reputable shop look into it.

good luck.
Old April 22nd, 2008, 10:30 AM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

There are two possible solutions.
First; have the PCM flashed with updated software that is designed to address this issue, have the dealer reference GM Document ID # 585532 for further reference if needed.

If that doesn't resolve the harsh 1-2 upshifts then have the transmission pressure control selenoid replaced.
Old April 23rd, 2008, 3:40 PM
CF Beginner

chevy truck shifting hard.
I have a 01 silverado 5.3 engine, mine will shift like in tow mode(longer shift points) in the winter time til it warms up.Dont shift hard. In the manual it says its suppose to do this til it warms up. maybe this is what you are talking about.??
Old April 23rd, 2008, 4:51 PM
CF Addict

The cold circuit simply raises the RPM's at each shift slightly to warm the engine faster this reduces emissions and improve heater performance, it should not make the transmission feel as though it is "slamming" gears or otherwise shift objectionably harsh, this feature is also only active when the temperature is 32F or colder.[/b]
Old April 23rd, 2008, 8:33 PM
CF Beginner

thanksZX1100F1, I wasnt sure how he meant it. Along with the cold curcuit,
Mine will also slam if I have been driving for sometime if I hit passing gear hard or going up steep hills where it shifts to passing gear, after that, when I take off from stops it will slam into 2 and hard to 3rd just normal take off. Once I shut the ignition off and restart it, its usually fine. Sometimes the check engine light comes on, sometimes it dont. But that usually stays on til cleared. I get code P01870.

Old April 24th, 2008, 10:56 AM
CF Addict

If you are getting DTC P1870 this indicates a slip condition inside the transmission which can be casued by numorous things such as:
Slipping band or clutch.
Incorrect fluid level.
Contaminated fluid.
Torque converter clutch malfunction.
A faulty converter clutch valve.
A faulty turbine shaft o-ring.
A faulty TCC or PWM selenoid.

Quick Reply: hard shift when cold or tow/haul mode