Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Hard Start after warm up

Search this Thread

Old June 27th, 2010, 3:47 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hard Start after warm up

Hey all,

1996 GMC Sierra 4x4 3500 ext cab 4x4 with the 454 7.4 Vortec. I just bought this truck about a month ago and seem to have any issue when starting the truck.

If I start the truck up first thing in the morning, no issues, fires right up. After reaching Normal Operating Temperature, the truck cranks over 7-9 times before firing up. What might be causing this issue?

I have never had a 7.4 before and not sure of the common problems. The truck has 282,000 km's and could possibly use a good tune up but not sure if there is more behind it. I have pulled codes and nothing is present. I really do not want to start tossing money at would be could be's.

If anyone else with the 7.4 has had a similar issue and resolved it, please advise.

Obviously just purchasing the truck and not knowing previous history, I am sure a good tune up is in order. Wires look to be new but who knows.

Maybe a complete tune up from wires, plugs, cap and rotor as well as coil would be in order. I have heard injectors could cause issues but I do not have a misfire. Seems to lope a little on idle but other than that runs great