Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

New guy here

Search this Thread

Old April 21st, 2012, 12:18 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New guy here

Been lurking here for the last week trying to find solutions for my trucks problem and have found plenty of threads covering it. I have a 1999 silverado with the 4.3L V-6. It died on me last week. No sputtering or hesitation just flat out quit. Tried to re start it and it ran for about 10 seconds and died. now it just cranks over but thats it. I'm guessing the fuel pump is the culprit but i still can here it cycling every time i turn the key to the "on" postion. I checked the fuel pressure and it was at around 20 or 30 psi, just turning the key to the "on" position,it gets to 60psi after turning the key off and on a few times. Should it go up to the manufactures specs as soon as you turn the key to the on position?
Old April 21st, 2012, 12:45 AM
CF Beginner

Forgot to mention, 113,000 miles and no trouble codes now. "Service engine" light was on from time to time and the codes were PO440 and PO442. These codes have been popping a for a few years and I never really worried about them since the truck has always ran fine. It made me nervous when the "service engine" light went out. LOL
Old April 21st, 2012, 7:43 AM
CF Active Member

This is where I would start. New fuel filter followed by a bottle of Seafoam. Climb under the truck and rap the side of the fuel tank with a hammer a couple of times and try to start it. Sometimes the vibration of the hammer will get the pump working again. If it starts then you know it's your pump that went bad. Change the pump. As for your evap codes, start there with a new gas cap. See how that works and let us know...
Old April 21st, 2012, 8:26 AM
CF Monarch

Received 337 Likes on 318 Posts

The fuel pump assembly has a check valve in it that keeps the pressure high while the pump is not running. This makes for easier starts. The check valve could be bad while the fuel pump is good. If it runs good after it starts then the fuel pump is good with a bad check valve.
Old April 21st, 2012, 9:42 AM
CF Beginner

It doesn't start at all. Just cranks over and over. I plan on changing fuel filter today to see if thats it. I will try tapping on the tank with a hammer also. I found my fuel pressure should be 60-66 psi with KOEO but mine was at 20-30 psi. Could the filter cause a low reading if it were dirty or partially clogged? Anything else I should check? If it ends up being a bad pump, what is the most reliable brand to use? I was planning on AC/Delco if it needs replaced, I imagine they are the O.E.M. for the pump.
Old April 21st, 2012, 10:11 AM
CF Monarch

Received 337 Likes on 318 Posts

If the filter is clogged real bad it could cause low pressure. Not likely its that bad as there is a screen on the pickup in the tank. If your pressure is 20-30, then the pump is bad. If the pressure is in the 60 range, then check to see if you are getting spark.
Old April 21st, 2012, 10:37 AM
CF Beginner

Im getting spark. Plan on changing the cap,rotor,wires,and plugs since its been awhile. The only way I was getting 60psi, checking my fuel pressure, was to cycle the key on and off several times. Any recomendations on long lasting pump brand? Don't want to do this again for a long time. And thanks for the help!!
Old April 21st, 2012, 11:00 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

had have the same problem bit mine is security crap doing it
Someone told me turn key on jump starter see if she starts
Mine will do that now and then
Old April 21st, 2012, 11:11 AM
CF Beginner

I don't think I have any of the security stuff metioned on here. Mine is pretty plain,must be a base model. Manual windows,locks,rubber floor,40-20-40 bench seat.
Old April 21st, 2012, 11:47 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Keypass crap all gms have it slot of people have problems from what I have found
Don't mean its the same for u I have 99 z71 my truck thinks I steal it sometime won't start like ban rule pump

Quick Reply: New guy here