Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx
Old August 6th, 2015, 2:14 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

Heated Seats Question

Search this Thread

Old October 27th, 2012, 2:15 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dgriffith
I posted 2 videos to YouTube. I'm doing the installation tomorrow. If anybody wants to see the heated seat kit check out the videos. More videos to follow. Feel free to contact me for pointers or help if you plan on doing this in your silverado.

2012 Silverado Heated Seats Kit - YouTube

2012 Silverado LT Heated Seats - YouTube
Ok..I installed this kit in about 6 hours..it's a complete nightmare..much better off taking it to the dealer and letting them do it for 3 hours labor cost. At least that's what the service dept told me..anyways, taking the seats out is a pain and a lot of work. Running the wiring harness wasn't too bad under the carpet to the seats and the door sill..the only problem I ran into with wiring was running the 2 connectors wires behind the dash where they plug into the heated seats switch..it was tough to find an opening to get to the wires..I have everything completed and hooked up but Ido not get any power or lights my heated seat switch..I hopped everything up according to the instructions as far as the harness going into the terminal block..I hooked the purple wire on the harness to the purple wire and the yellow to the yellow..there is a little block with a green wire that I plugged into the terminal block and there was a bigger block with a red and black ground wire that I plugged into the terminal block where it was the only place it would fit..any ideas on what I did wrong? Any help would be appreciated..thanks
Old October 27th, 2012, 2:37 PM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by dgriffith
Ok..I installed this kit in about 6 hours..it's a complete nightmare..much better off taking it to the dealer and letting them do it for 3 hours labor cost. At least that's what the service dept told me..anyways, taking the seats out is a pain and a lot of work. Running the wiring harness wasn't too bad under the carpet to the seats and the door sill..the only problem I ran into with wiring was running the 2 connectors wires behind the dash where they plug into the heated seats switch..it was tough to find an opening to get to the wires..I have everything completed and hooked up but Ido not get any power or lights my heated seat switch..I hopped everything up according to the instructions as far as the harness going into the terminal block..I hooked the purple wire on the harness to the purple wire and the yellow to the yellow..there is a little block with a green wire that I plugged into the terminal block and there was a bigger block with a red and black ground wire that I plugged into the terminal block where it was the only place it would fit..any ideas on what I did wrong? Any help would be appreciated..thanks
Here is a video I just uploaded to YouTube.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CCQ1tkF4W0Q
Old October 28th, 2012, 4:56 PM
CF Beginner

hi i realiize this is for silverados but I cannot find any info other places, I have an 08 impala and want to have the factory heated seats turn on when i start the engine with the remote car starter any help is appriciated
Old October 28th, 2012, 6:02 PM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by raybo100
hi i realiize this is for silverados but I cannot find any info other places, I have an 08 impala and want to have the factory heated seats turn on when i start the engine with the remote car starter any help is appriciated
If your Malibu allows this function then I would say the dealer will have to do a flash to your computer on the car with a tech 2 device. I would call gm service and ask them if this is even possible and of so what they would charge you to do it..I think $50 bucks would be a reasonable price
Old October 30th, 2012, 5:08 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

recheck the wiring that you installed in the juction block. did the correct wires get put back into the cavities?

the the instructions say to have the seat modules programmed after installation.

Last edited by tech2; October 30th, 2012 at 5:21 PM.
Old October 30th, 2012, 11:19 PM
CF Beginner

Default heated seats

the heated seats are factory installed so I have not played with any wires
my car has the "great GM improvement" that the block heater does not work until -18 celcius - we get a lot of weather -10 -15 with the wind blowing and snow so what d we do - remote start it and let it idle the 2 times that it allows you car is still cool run an interior warmer but the seats are still cold and hard ( put on some nice seat covers so it helps keep the butt warm at least when you first get in
Old October 31st, 2012, 5:45 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by raybo100
the heated seats are factory installed so I have not played with any wires
my car has the "great GM improvement" that the block heater does not work until -18 celcius - we get a lot of weather -10 -15 with the wind blowing and snow so what d we do - remote start it and let it idle the 2 times that it allows you car is still cool run an interior warmer but the seats are still cold and hard ( put on some nice seat covers so it helps keep the butt warm at least when you first get in
my post was directed to the op.

For you:
If you don't like the block heater, get a new cord without the resistor.
Old November 3rd, 2012, 6:56 PM
CF Beginner

unfortuantly I tried this when I bought the car and it screwed the computor- at least the dealership reset it for me for free) - it is in the computor not the block heater it measures outside air /engine temp etc I had a long winded explanation from Chev dealer it went over my head - basically thanks to Ottowa for this to save green house gases - now I remote start the good ol max of 2 times
Old November 3rd, 2012, 9:42 PM
Super Moderator

the thermistor is in the cord. If it wasn't, you would not have seen any difference in operation with the new cord.

The ecm can set dtc's when the ect and iat sensor readings fail logic tests, in certain conditions, due to the block heater. Gm has performed ect and harness relocations to prevent this.

the 120volt block heater cord is a stand alone system and has no electrical interaction with a 12volt ecm.

remove the cord and put an ohm meter on it; above -18 degrees it will be open and closed below that temp. the block heater element will read approx 35 ohms at all times.

Last edited by tech2; November 3rd, 2012 at 9:45 PM.
Old November 9th, 2012, 10:42 AM
CF Junior Member

i ended up taking my silverado to the dealer to do the wiring and the flash on the bcm..only took them about an hour to do..my heated seats work great and they automatically kick on when i remote start my truck..soon i will be posting a video to you tube showing my new working factory heated seats. please check out my youtube channel at

dgriffith1981 - YouTube

Quick Reply: Heated Seats Question