Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Help!

Search this Thread

Old March 8th, 2012, 7:57 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Help!

96 6.5l turbo diesel 4x4

It has been having issues with draining the batteries. Took the alternator and had it tested and it tested fine. Sometimes the batteries charge fine. Everytime when I go to start it it barely starts even after it has just been run. Sometimes the batteries don't charge when it is being run (according to the gauge). Batteries have been tested and they are fine as well. Other than a short somewhere does anyone have any ideas? Getting sick of repairing everything I own! lol Thanks!
Old March 8th, 2012, 9:15 PM
CF Active Member

when this usually happens it is either the cig lighter or cd player they just draw to much when its not running pull the fuse to the cig lighter for the day and see if that helps. have your batteries just died while you are driving either?
Old March 8th, 2012, 9:59 PM
CF Beginner

No the batteries haven't died but I can't get much more than either the 9 on the gauge or it goes very high. Is this something that can happen all of a sudden? I will try it tomorrow! Thanks!
Old March 8th, 2012, 11:57 PM
CF Active Member

ya it will happen just out of the blue but usually it kills the battery but its simple enough to check so id give it a try
Old March 9th, 2012, 10:32 PM
CF Veteran

get ahold of a mulitmeter or test light, unhook the neg. battery cable and put the light/meter from the terminal to the cable. The light should barely light up if its bright start pulling fuses till it goes dim then you'll know the problem circuit. If its with a meter set it to amps and there should be a very low reading or do the same with fuses.
Old March 10th, 2012, 1:29 PM
CF Beginner

Well I pulled the cig lighter fuse and it didn't seem to make a difference. I then pulled the radio fuse this morning and I still don't see a difference. They are both out and I will see how it starts later this evening. It has been sitting with the batteries disconnected for a couple weeks. The batteries seem fine now but it is still sounding like they are draining. Could this be a starter going out? I have never had one sound like that, they either don't start or they click. Any thoughts on that?
Old March 10th, 2012, 1:32 PM
CF Beginner

I do have a multimeter. However the only fuses left in there are for needed things.
Old March 10th, 2012, 9:46 PM
CF Beginner

I don't know if this has anything to do with it but this all started after I replaced the fuel pump relay. When I took it in to have tested just to see if anything electrical came up I mentioned that and they tested it and said it was fine.
Old March 11th, 2012, 10:43 AM
CF Veteran

If the fuses are needed isnt the point, the reason you pull the fuse is to kill the circuit momentarily so you can see if its drawing when it shouldn't be. Forgot to mention you do it with the ignition off. Its just a quick test to help you figure out which circuit you need to start looking at.
Old March 11th, 2012, 11:15 AM
CF Active Member

This wont fix your problem but you said that sometimes while your driving the battery doesnt seem to charge is your belt good? you might want to look at it it could be slipping causing battery not to charge while your driving.

Quick Reply: Help!