Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Help! 4x4 light stays on -- 2wd/4wd/4wdL all works though

Old September 5th, 2012, 10:32 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! 4x4 light stays on -- 2wd/4wd/4wdL all works though

Hey guys. I have been fighting with this truck for days now. Could really use some help!

I had the problem with ABS/Stabilitrak(service) light's on... Pretty sure I found the problem with a messed up connector on the drivers front wheel. No lights!

==========================

Let me preface with this:

I built a harness from scratch and put a new connector on the end for the 4x4 actuator after a dealership used butt connectors in several spots and left a damaged connector on the actuator. 4wd would go in and out.

My harness fixed this problem 4wd light was off... would only come on when in 4wd... Everything was perfect.

Well... I ended up putting all new shocks, struts and front brakes on the truck... and ever since then the 4wd light has stayed on no matter what... the truck engages into 2wd/4wd and 4wd low perfect.

=========================

Is there something else that can cause this? Low fluid in the TC perhaps? I noticed that it's missing a bolt in the passenger side front axle and there is a small seep of what smells like gear oil.

This is another doing of the same dealership (which I plan to leave a lovely review about when I have time) and I'm just wondering if fluid level could have something to do with it.

I don't know if that single bolt could cause a leak or if there is a seal that is busted... I plan on fixing this next but wanted to ask you guys first.

If there is any info I can provide that will help please let me know.
Old September 5th, 2012, 10:53 AM
CF Beginner

I tried unhooking the battery... no codes with my scan tool. I don't know if whatever tool the local auto parts stores have (AdvanceAuto / Autozone) can scan something mine cant or not...

Now looking at an easy way (if possible) to check gear oil in the TC.

Last edited by justchil; September 5th, 2012 at 10:56 AM.
Old September 5th, 2012, 1:10 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi,

Ya gotta tell us what you are working on. We can't read your mind.

Allan
Old September 5th, 2012, 1:53 PM
CF Beginner

DOH! Forgot the most important part. 2009 Chevy Silverado 1500 WT. 4.8L I believe (or whatever the smaller v8 is)

Front Diff = Fluid was grey milk (water). Looks like water might be getting in the seal on the passenger side axle (half shaft is what i call them). Let it drain for a while then flushed some new fluid through... then filled it.

Rear Diff = Full and fluid looked new

Transfer Case = Full and fluid looked new.

Just in case I didn't mention before it has manual (floor shifter) 4wd.

Light still on all the time. It does seem to be a bit slow going from 4wd back to 2wd sometimes.

Last edited by justchil; September 5th, 2012 at 2:24 PM.
Old September 7th, 2012, 11:24 AM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Good morning justchil,
Did you have any luck getting this resolved since your last post? Let us know if we can check into warranty or recall information for you - we'd need the last 8 of your VIN.

Sarah (Assisting Louis), Chevrolet Customer Service
Old September 10th, 2012, 12:36 PM
CF Beginner

I'm getting help on another forum.

I don't care if the truck is covered under warranty or not... The local dealer has screwed up every repair they have made to this truck and others. Even something as simple as brake pads... they forget to put one of the bolts back in the caliper.

It has cost us hundreds of dollars fixing their mistakes. If I had the time and documented everything properly we'd probably pursue legal action.
Old September 12th, 2012, 1:30 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by justchil
I'm getting help on another forum.

I don't care if the truck is covered under warranty or not... The local dealer has screwed up every repair they have made to this truck and others. Even something as simple as brake pads... they forget to put one of the bolts back in the caliper.

It has cost us hundreds of dollars fixing their mistakes. If I had the time and documented everything properly we'd probably pursue legal action.
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> justchil,

Ok, I'm sorry to hear of your dealer experience.

Please feel free to contact me privately if you need further assistance.

Louis
GM Customer Service