Go Back   Chevrolet Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums > Current Chevy Trucks, SUV's, Crossovers & Vans > Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register Photos FAQ Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read GarageUsed CarsVendors TSB & Recalls
Search
Welcome to Chevrolet Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums

Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by: Bakliner

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-14-2012, 11:50 AM
CF Beginner

Default Help!!! Clicking noise coming from rear of truck

Hi everyone. My name is Jamie and new to this forum. I purchased a 95 silverado 4x4 5.7 extended cab. 160k miles on it. Last week I was leaving the credit union and when i took off a loud clicking noise came from the rear end somewhere. I pulled over and looked under the truck and saw nothing. I took off and the sound didnt come back. Then i was driving up a steep driveway at about 5mph and it did it again. I thought something was going to snap or break. I cant afford to take this to the shop right now so any help anybody can give me in regards to what this may be and how to fix it would be much appreciated. Thank you!!!!
Register today for free or log-in if already registered to remove this ad!
Old 04-14-2012, 11:59 AM
Administrator
2007 Chevrolet Tahoe

Welcome to the forum...
Have you gotten under it and checked for the simple things like something wrapped around the drive shaft or around the axle?

Pull off the rear wheels and drums and check the shoes to make sure it not a brake shoe or assembly that has come apart?

Check the tires for something stuck in them like a nail or screw?
Old 04-14-2012, 12:02 PM
CF Senior Member

U-joints.

Allan
Old 04-14-2012, 12:08 PM
CF Beginner

Thank you for replying. Nothing is attached under the truck and the ujoints seem to have little to no slack at all. I am hoping somehow it could be the ujoint still for cost purposes alone lol. I dont know what else it could be because it doesnt do it all the time. Oh and brakes and wheels and tires are all fine.
Old 04-14-2012, 01:20 PM
CF Beginner

Is there anyway it could be the ujoint even when i have wiggled it back and forth and have found there to be no slack?????
Old 04-14-2012, 07:21 PM
CF Senior Member

No its not u joint then jack truck up wiggle tires see if you can find play
Your rear end has a few parts that can click but a click can travel and sound like its in back
Old 04-14-2012, 07:22 PM
CF Senior Member

Oh make sure you have no load on joints put truck in natural if it rolls you got a load make sure a level ground
Old 04-15-2012, 12:00 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks doug. Ill give that a shot when i get off work
Old 04-15-2012, 10:52 PM
CF Active Member

Did that year have a rear end traction system, like positrack or limited slip? I know the newer ones click when they aren't working right.
Old 08-13-2012, 10:09 PM
CF Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamie123 View Post
Hi everyone. My name is Jamie and new to this forum. I purchased a 95 silverado 4x4 5.7 extended cab. 160k miles on it. Last week I was leaving the credit union and when i took off a loud clicking noise came from the rear end somewhere. I pulled over and looked under the truck and saw nothing. I took off and the sound didnt come back. Then i was driving up a steep driveway at about 5mph and it did it again. I thought something was going to snap or break. I cant afford to take this to the shop right now so any help anybody can give me in regards to what this may be and how to fix it would be much appreciated. Thank you!!!!
I'm having the same problem with my 2000 1500, I buried the rear end of the truck in a creek and it stayed underwater all night, now the rear end makes all kinda racket such as a sound similar to my tires roaring and a grinding sound when I'm barely going, and also a clicking sound when I turn sharp, climb a hill, or when I "floor it" any ideas? (it's also got a 4 inch lift with 31.5 inch tires)
Old 08-13-2012, 10:09 PM

Tags
2000, back, chevy, clicking, coming, driving, end, makes, noise, pickup, pu, rear, silverado, sound, truck, wheel