Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Help findind owner of pre 1980 p/u

Old March 19th, 2012, 3:58 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Help finding owner of an ABANDONED pre 1981 Chevy P/U

I have had my eye on a sweet 79 chevy its been sitting in a parking lot by my work for 2 months same spot like they drove to work an left it. Plates exp 10/10. I tried obtaining info but dmv an police dept wont tell me nothing only option they can give is turn it in to them let a tow company pick it up then buy it from them in 4 mons. I tried carfax but since it pre dates 1981 when the 17 digit vin system started it cant be found an I've only managed to get basic info but no owner info. I am in the army an I believe the owner has gone overseas an just abandonded it so I wanna figure out if thats the case Any info would help thanks

Last edited by hamilton9339; March 19th, 2012 at 4:17 PM.
Old March 19th, 2012, 7:16 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Or maybe he is just in his deployment waiting to come home to his truck. You re trying to steal his truck? You cannot turn it into a tow company if you dont own the parking lot. Otherwise you are just conspiring to steal a truck. For all you know his mom is paying the parking lot to store it there until he comes home. 2 months isnt a long time and since it isnt parked on the street the expired registration means nothing. If you steal his truck and he comes back home and cuts your ***** off you deserve it.
Old March 20th, 2012, 6:20 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by RacerX
Or maybe he is just in his deployment waiting to come home to his truck. You re trying to steal his truck? You cannot turn it into a tow company if you dont own the parking lot. Otherwise you are just conspiring to steal a truck. For all you know his mom is paying the parking lot to store it there until he comes home. 2 months isnt a long time and since it isnt parked on the street the expired registration means nothing. If you steal his truck and he comes back home and cuts your ***** off you deserve it.
I guess I need to add more info first off anyone that knows about vehicle ownership knows that any vehicle with exp registration that's not parked on private property I.E a parkinglot on a military base is subject to tow. Also any vehicle left on base in a parking lot that gets reported for sitting over 72hrs is subject to tow. As far as if it belongs to someone deployed they provide them with storage which is not in the parking lot @ work. Now if this vehicle gets towed from base it goes to an impound lot an sits for 120 days then is up for sale an only the owner can keep it from being towed so if he is gone then so is the truck cause by the time he recieves any paperwork stating his truck is up for impound it will be to late to respond I know this cause I have been overseas 3 times an mail is super slow an internet is minimal. Therefore im not trying to steal someones truck hence the reason im trying to contact him to see if he wants to sell instead of it going to an overpriced impound lot but thanks for automatically jumping to conclusions with false allegations an finger pointing cause of a lack of knowledge in the situation
Old March 20th, 2012, 8:04 AM
CF Veteran

Bro, quit blowing smoke. If this car was parked ON A MILITARY BASE you wouldnt have had to go to the DMV or the Police for help finding who owned it. This car in NOT on a military base. If this car was on public property as you want to assert it would have towed already using your stated criteria. Clearly it IS on private property. Furthermore 2 months isnt a long time. For all you know which you dont, he could be in the hospital. He could be in jail. He could be out of the country. For all I know, his parents are paying to store that car there until he returns from wherever.
You are trying to steal this truck.
Old March 20th, 2012, 2:33 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by RacerX
Bro, quit blowing smoke. If this car was parked ON A MILITARY BASE you wouldnt have had to go to the DMV or the Police for help finding who owned it. This car in NOT on a military base. If this car was on public property as you want to assert it would have towed already using your stated criteria. Clearly it IS on private property. Furthermore 2 months isnt a long time. For all you know which you dont, he could be in the hospital. He could be in jail. He could be out of the country. For all I know, his parents are paying to store that car there until he returns from wherever.
You are trying to steal this truck.
It is on a military base why dont you drive to Ft Carson Co an see for yourself as far as "I could find the owner" no I cant not when theres over 1000 people in my unit an 900 are gone an the remaining dont know whos truck it is an if you bring it to someones attention it'll get noticed an towed an on post they kinda leave things alone until someone calls in on it cause its an issue now eventually theyre gonna wanna clean things up an they will call to get rid of the handful of cars left Given your responses I know you have never been in the military an have no idea how a military base is ran so stop posting on my **** cause I was simple asking for help not how to steal something if thats what I wanted to do I never would have posted on here to begin with
Old March 20th, 2012, 2:44 PM
CF Beginner

If it's parked on post/base, does it have a registration sticker to get through the gate? If it does, the SP/MP should be able to help you. At least they should be able to give you the name/unit so you can find his 1st Sgt.
Old March 21st, 2012, 7:58 AM
CF Veteran

Thats my point, if the car is on a military base, then the tag was recorded when it entered so the MPs already know who the car belongs to. I

But if I wanted to steal a car from a guy who is not in the country, this is one of the easiest ways. Claim it was abandoned in a parking lot, have it towed to an impound and then wait 4 months to buy it with a duplicate title.
Old March 22nd, 2012, 6:46 AM
CF Beginner

You no longer need stickers here just a military id an like I said before no police dept regardless military or civilian will release contact info you try for contact info they're gonna come slap an orange sticker in the window wait for him to respond an then tow it an once the tow company has it they wait the 4 mons an get there own title they will own it there's no they hold it an I get a title once a tow company has it an the 4mon window expires its there vehicle an titled to them since you live in that giant rat ridden **** hole *racerX* you of all people should know how towing a vehicle works an I don't gotta wait on a tow company all I would have to do is tow it away myself an file for lost title that simple but like I said before I wanna get owner consent (not steal it I ain't from the ghetto in the city or a crackhead) w/o having to have it towed cause I have a feeling he left it here either 1. Cause he didn't want it cause everyone in the army knows if you deploy an leave your vehicle it'll get towed or 2. Someone was supposed to take it to get stored an they screwed him over by just leaving it an he should be aware its still sitting there