Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Traction Control or Lack of Power

Old April 8th, 2008, 10:49 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Traction Control or Lack of Power

I have an '07 NBS with the 5.3 and was just checking if anybody else had any ideas why this truck thinks it needs to not let a tire slip from the road. I do have traction control and I make sure that it is disabled when I have done my testing. I also notice that with the traction control disabled when the tires do decide to spin the traction control light begins to flash then the tires start to grip. I don't know if the truck just doesn't have the power to keep the tires spinning or if the traction control (even when disabled) has a certain point that it automatically kicks in to prevent wheel spin. My '98 with the Vortec 350 would stomp a mud whole in this new truck performance wise, but as far as comfort the new one has it beat hands down. Anybody have any thoughts?
Old April 11th, 2008, 8:49 AM
CF Beginner

Default RE: Traction Control or Lack of Power

Well, seeing as though nobody had any ideas and this is an informational forum, I will post some information I discovered. Not only do the 07-08 NBS trucks have traction control they also has another feature called Stabilitrack. In order to disable StabiliTrack you need to hold the traction control button down for about 5-7 seconds then the display will change to StabiliTrack OFF. At that point you can begin trying to spin the tires in a still under powered 5.3 liter truck. Now, I guess it is up to me to add some power-adders.
Old April 11th, 2008, 2:36 PM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

good to know....thanks for the heads up
Old April 11th, 2008, 7:04 PM
CF Junior Member

Thanks, I'll have to fool around with it.
Old April 11th, 2008, 7:23 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The problem is the programming. This is an excerpt from an Edmund's report explaining why the dyno numbers seemed off on the 6.0 they tested

Might be the same for the 5.3

As it turns out, the explanation boils down to an engine calibration strategy. GM calibrated the 367-hp 6.0-liter V8 to remain in stoichiometric "closed-loop" fuel delivery mode for 4 seconds after the throttle is floored. This fueling strategy helps keep emissions in check (and saves fuel) at the expense of reduced power — about 40 hp less at the peak. Once the driver lifts his right foot from the wide-open throttle position, the 4-second clock resets.

This explains why the Silverado's power is low everywhere on the graph right up to the jump in power right before redline. Corresponding to the expiration of the 4-second window, the jump in power is indicative of the engine switching to open-loop "power enrichment" mode. It is only when operating in this mode that the engine delivers its full rated power.

Release the hounds
On the road, the Silverado's full advertised power will be on tap during extended full-throttle conditions such as towing, or any other situation in which the throttle is floored for more than 4 seconds.

Be aware, however, that the Silverado's horsepower herd will be thinned out during all but the most prolonged wide-open throttle squirts around town. And with an empty bed and no trailer, 4 seconds is a fairly long time to have the throttle matted.
Old April 12th, 2008, 7:34 AM
CF Beginner

That is very interesting and I would imagine is the reason why I am fairly unimpressed with the get up and go of the truck. I would also think that is one of the many improvements the aftermarket programmers change is to remove the 4 second delay.
Old April 12th, 2008, 5:09 PM
CF Junior Member

i have the 07 5.3L without traction control and 18" rims with bridgestone tires, but it has the G80 locker rear end, she'll light them up no problem whenever i want, and posi every time, as well as crawl through every mud hole i have put her in easily. It was able to do this even before i did the exhaust and intake modifications, not sure why with everything disabled you are not able to burn 'em up.
Old April 12th, 2008, 7:15 PM
CF Junior Member

did you add the G80 locker rear end or did it come standard?
Old April 14th, 2008, 9:24 PM
CF Junior Member

I'm in the same boat. With everything turned off I can't turn the 20's. Not much grunt off of the line, but my drag race days are over anyway.
Old April 14th, 2008, 11:01 PM
CF Junior Member

do the two of you who cant spin the tires have the LTZ, because i am pretty sure that those are the only ones that come with Traction control and stabilitrac. I have the 5.3 NBS without any of that an i can lay rubber very easily as well, and i also had the locking rear end from the factory, so no one wheel wonder here.

Ohh and on that note for the closed loop configuration on the 6.0l, that is only found on the 6.0's, but not all of them. my uncle just bought a new half ton with the vortec max 6.0 and he doesent have any lag in his pickup. ohh and yes they are much faster than the 5.3's

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Traction Control or Lack of Power