Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Old August 10th, 2015, 3:15 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Steering & Suspension Guides
Print Wikipost

HELP! No Brakes or Power Steering on Duramax

Search this Thread

Old February 13th, 2010, 10:07 AM
Classifieds Moderator
TruckForums Liaison

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP! No Brakes or Power Steering on Duramax

Went to go get hay today and the brakes on the Dmax decided not to work. Had to use the E-brake to stop it. I tried to finaggle it out of the garage and realized that the power steering was completely gone as well and because of the mirrors it is stuck in the garage. I am completely stumped and no one seems to have any idea. The dealer is closed until Monday and I need guidance..

HELP!!!!!!

Kevin

By the way, it's not my truck, it's an 06 GMC Sierra 2500 Duramax/Allison Crew Cab Short Box with 295's. 75,000miles. <!-- / message --> <!-- sig -->

Last edited by 92chevysilvy; February 13th, 2010 at 10:10 AM.
Old February 13th, 2010, 10:39 AM
CF Active Member

make sure it has power steering fluid in it see if it has a leak. those have hydroboost brake assist - which is power assist from the steering pump. thats about all i can say for a diesel, never worked on those particular setups.
maybe it has a seperate belt that came off?
Old February 13th, 2010, 11:10 AM
Classifieds Moderator
TruckForums Liaison

I checked the p/s fluid and it was full and there was a ton of pressure, enough to blow fluid out when I twisted it off. I've done a little research and it's looking like it's the hydroboost unit that went out. The tow truck just came and took it to the dealer. Should know by monday. Any other ideas?
Old February 13th, 2010, 11:35 AM
CF Active Member

if its full of fluid it can only be the pump, gearbox, or hydroboost unit having a valve problem or something similar. it will be one of those 3.
ive never seen fluid blow out of the resivior on anything.
Old February 13th, 2010, 12:40 PM
Classifieds Moderator
TruckForums Liaison

I can't believe that it is just coincidence that there are no brakes and no power steering at the same time, which leads me to think hydroboost. I've done a little research and googled it and it looks like it's a pretty common problem for the hydro to go out on the duramax's. Hopefully it's not expensive. Until then, we can't move hay, horses, or pull any trailers until we get it back and we've got a Grand Prix rental car. I didn't even know they still made Grand Prix's!
Old February 14th, 2010, 5:45 PM
CF Junior Member

No coincidence given that the power steering pump feeds the hydroboost. I have seen broken shafts in the power steering pump that weren't visible until you yank the pump off
Bob
Old February 15th, 2010, 11:20 AM
Classifieds Moderator
TruckForums Liaison

It was the pump. $500 fix and if I have anything to do with it, I'm not paying for something that could have meant the death of me and my family, let alone others that would have been involved. If it had gone out 30 minutes later I would have been pulling a 5000lb 20ft flatbed loaded up with 10 900lb bales of hay. It would have been dowright detrimental to anyone near. This is a safety issue and GM is going to be footing the bill. End of story.

If anyone has any information regarding other incidences such as this, accidents caused by this, or common issues, Please please please let me know. I'm not going down without a fight.
Old February 15th, 2010, 8:20 PM
CF Junior Member

I help a friend of mine 3-4 days a week at his shop. In the last 2 years I've seen 2 broken p/s pump shafts. One was on a Ford so that doesn't count, but Wally has seen a bunch over the years and called both of these on the money. No visible issue until you remove the belt. Then by hand you just pull the broken end of the shaft out with the pulley. Very deceiving and in situations like yours, dangerous. Glad you didn't have an accident.
Bob
Old March 2nd, 2010, 12:31 AM
CF Junior Member

brake lines rust out pumps go out check valves get stuck i hear you and it sucks but its a fight your not gonna win
Old November 30th, 2010, 1:57 PM
CF Active Member

i dont think those are related issues