Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Old July 23rd, 2015, 4:40 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: General Overview
Print Wikipost

Help - Warning lights coming on and off

Search this Thread

Old December 21st, 2013, 11:00 AM
New User
Awaiting E-mail Confirmation

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help - Warning lights coming on and off

Hey,

This is my first post, and I'm hoping someone here might be able to give me some help!

So it started about a week ago, I get ready to leave for work when I start-up my truck (06 Silverado 1500), and a warning comes up saying something about restricted power use, and the my truck goes into limp mode. So I turn the truck back off, wait 15 sec turn it back on, and the light it gone and the truck is running fine. So off to work I go. On the way, the service brake system warning comes on. The truck was driving fine and I was almost to work, so I just went on and figured I'd deal with it after work. I go out and hop in my truck to head home for the day, and there's no lights, and it's running fine.

About 100km or so later (a few days) and I again start up to leave for work, but this time my check engine light is on! The truck seems to be running fine, so I continue on. Now this is where it gets weird. The check engine light will come on for any where between 20-250km then go off for the same range of time, then come back on again randomly. It's done this 4 or 5 times in the last 1000km (since I had the initial issue with the truck). And randomly the service brake system light will come one but if I shut the truck off for 15 sec, it goes away?? The break check light has come on about 3 times during this period.

I'm not really sure what the issue is here. I'm sort of blaming the issue with going into limp mode on the cold weather that night. We had a wind chill of something like -46C that night. My truck was plugged in.

I had both front wheel bearing replaced in late Oct passed. I'm not sure if a faulty sensor mixed with the harsh cold might be to blame for the break system check warnings? That warning seems to only happen a really cold mornings.

My only guess for the check engine light to be coming on and off like it is would maybe me a faulty O2 sensor.

Does anyone have any insight as to what might be going on with my truck? I'm no mechanic, but does anyone have some suggest of some things I may be cable of checking myself?

And of course, this all started the day after I picked up my new Audi A4. Who knows, maybe big red is just jealous

Any help at all would be greatly appreciated!!
Old December 23rd, 2013, 7:52 AM
CF Active Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I own an 01 Suburban with 230K and am amazed that I have never seen a single check engine light come on since I bought it new. However, I did have that problem with a used 03 Camry recently, and just like you, it would come on for a while and then go off for a while. Diagnostic codes indicated a problem with the upstream oxygen sensors, possibly a bad connection. I switched the air/fuel sensor (upstream oxygen sensor) relay with a similar relay in the fuse box and the light went off. I then put both sensors back into their original position, but the light has stayed off since. That's all it was, a loose connection at the relay, possibly a little corrosion. The point is, regardless of make or model, check your fuse box first. New af sensors for the Camry are up to $175, where a new relay, if needed, is about $15. There is also a fuse for these sensors in the Camry, but if that were bad I would think that the check engine light would be on all the time. Either way, check fuses and relays first. And if this does work for you and the light goes off, you will still have to have any codes that came up cleared by someone with the right diagnostic equipment otherwise they will show up the next time you have an emissions test done. Hope the cheap and easy works for you.

Last edited by subfan597; December 24th, 2013 at 8:19 AM.