Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

HID quality

Search this Thread

Old January 3rd, 2012, 8:09 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HID quality

Just bought a new 2011 Silverado to replace my 2003 Silverado (great truck). I'm looking into getting HID's for the low beam and fogs, but wanted to know a few things first.

1. What is the difference between the $35 set on Ebay and the more expensive sets out there? I have a $35 set on my ATV and they have worked flawlessly for 3 years now. I'm also not relying on it all the time, so...

2. 4,300 seems to be the perfect size for getting the most light. 6,000k is still dang bright from what I've read but it gives you that subtle blue tint. Any one better than the other when you are cruising down the road?

3. Should I get them for the fog lamps as well then?

4. Will these blind oncoming vehicles? I don't want to blind them and then have them run into me or smack a mailbox as they swerve out of my way. I want bright...not blinding.

The reason I'm looking into brighter lights is because of the critters around where I live...deer being the biggest "threat" to causing damage, but there are fox and coyotes a plenty here as well.

Thanks for any insight. If there is a vendor here on the forum that supports chevroletforum.com financially, I would consider them first before going through the likes of Ebay and such.

thank you,
Todd
Old January 3rd, 2012, 8:56 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Click on vendors at the top right. Scroll down to hid extra. I have not purchased from them but they are on the site often. You should look into getting the relay kit so that power for the lights is pulled directly from the battery and not from the factory light harness.
Old January 3rd, 2012, 9:38 PM
Super Moderator

I've ran eBay fogs and headlights for 3 years now in my truck no problem, not even a ballast has gone out. I think the 6k is what most people choose to have a good visual of what's in front of you. And I'd get the dogs too, If you use them might as well. And if you think they'll blind people aim them down a tad bit to help out
Old January 4th, 2012, 8:17 AM
CF Beginner

So what's the "advantage" to these kits on Ebay that you see for $700+ compared to the $35 kits? I just want to ensure I'm getting something decent for my truck. Don't need the ultimate best here, but don't want something that will go out 1 year after purchase either.

Also, for low beams would you get a 35W or 55W. Was thinking 55W, but am open to hearing what you good folks have to say on it.
Old January 4th, 2012, 2:41 PM
Super Moderator

The eBay kits are kind of hit and miss from what I've heard. Me and a few buddies have all ran em for 3+ years and they're still goin strong, now a few other I know ordered and they didn't last 2 years, and get the 35 watt, 55 watt is to hot and may melt the lenses. Also very very bright
Old January 5th, 2012, 10:28 AM
CF Beginner

Thanks for the info everyone!
Old February 23rd, 2012, 10:03 PM
CF Active Member

Let me know what you go with and what you think when you get them in hand i have been thinkin on these for awhile they are so nice to drive with but i dont wanna spend 700 dollars on lights and i dont wanna spend 35 dollars to have them go out in a year
Old February 24th, 2012, 8:18 AM
CF Active Member

Originally Posted by nkh34
Let me know what you go with and what you think when you get them in hand i have been thinkin on these for awhile they are so nice to drive with but i dont wanna spend 700 dollars on lights and i dont wanna spend 35 dollars to have them go out in a year
hey man. its kinda funny. here we are with the same name and same truck. lol
just thought id point that out
Old February 24th, 2012, 8:34 PM
CF Active Member

Does yours have a manual tranny and does it feel like it is the best truck ever haha like i said ill drive this truck till i die and then get burried in it i love mine. i drove my friends 06 and it had a 5.3 vortec i think, and it felt gutless compared to mine
Old February 27th, 2012, 8:10 AM
CF Active Member

i wish it was manual :/
but i love mine too. my first truck, and im not letting it go

Quick Reply: HID quality