Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

looking to get a 2007 silverado but have some concerns HELP

Search this Thread

Old February 14th, 2013, 9:23 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default looking to get a 2007 silverado but have some concerns HELP

Ok so i have been looking around for a silverado i found a nice 2007 5.3l with 52k listed for 22k i have looked around and it seems to be a good deal. but i started doing some research on reviews for these pickups and came across this oil consomption issue. of course the more you look for something the worse it seems.

So my concern is before i make a final decision i would like to have some questions awnsered.

First does this seem to affect all 2007 5.3 with the afm?

it seems that these trucks are bearly broken in and they are using a crap load of oil. which im sure in turn is ruining the inside of the engine.

Second is there a tell tale sign that you can tell if a certain vehicle is having the issue without having to drive it for 3k miles and check the oil level. (i doubt the dealer will let me take it on such a long test drive)

third does taking it somewhere and getting the afm disabled with 3rd party software solve the issue. the truck of course wont be under factory warranty so that isnt a concern of course. but does that "fix" have other consequences down the road that could affect the life of the engine.

I have so far loved my tahoe its been reliable and i was realling hoping to get a silverado, i have also been researching dodge rams but they seem to have a smaller back seat evevn with the 4 doors and apparently get worse fuel milage.

Thanks in advance, im just trying to get some questions awnsered and of course all i have found is the complaints and so far no permanent fix.
Old February 15th, 2013, 3:00 PM
CF Beginner

Anybody? I just would like somefeed back so see what the probabilty of this truch having this issue. Does it pretty much affect all of these trucks
Old February 15th, 2013, 3:35 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

1. probably sooner or later, yeah all of them unless you install the pressure relief valve shield

2. no

3. just install the shield and updated valve cover and there will be no oil consumption...as soon as possible before the oil control rings get plugged up.

4 once the 2 repairs are done it will be better than any dodge or ford.

Last edited by tech2; February 15th, 2013 at 3:40 PM.
Old February 15th, 2013, 4:34 PM
CF Beginner

So out of pocket how much would that add up to?
Old February 15th, 2013, 6:49 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Rabindranath68
So out of pocket how much would that add up to?
it would take probably 3 hours to install the shield and l/f valve cover. the front diff and oil pan have to come off to install the shield.

It should cost you 0 cause you should demand it done as a condition of the sale.

GM is advising all dealers to install the shield in the oil pan is off for any other work. If your buying something with powertrain warranty the dealer should be able to get it covered.
Old February 15th, 2013, 9:01 PM
CF Beginner

well had a GM dealer check the vin for me and as far as warrant work was done it shows they only replaced the oil pump. which was done it appears right before they sold it. that was just done this last NOV. carfax comes back clean but that just tells you if it has been stolen/accident/ ect

the dealer that is selling it isnt a gm dealer its just a used car lot so im not sure what warranty work they could do.

so adding this to the equation what would you guys do as far as this truck goes???

thanks again. just looking for as much input as possible
Old February 16th, 2013, 7:02 AM
Super Moderator

do you feel lucky?

Last edited by tech2; February 16th, 2013 at 6:55 PM. Reason: spelling error
Old February 16th, 2013, 11:13 AM
CF Beginner

LOL not sure
Old February 18th, 2013, 8:15 AM
CF Beginner

Funny, as I was waxing my truck yesterday I was thinking how aggrivating it has been to have my 08 Silverado Z71 ext cab 4x4 with 80k miles bought just four months ago and Ive replaced two window switches, the brake switch, and 4 speakers. Then I caught myself....I bought a used truck! It had 80k miles on it. I bought this truck this way because thats the only way I could afford this type of truck and model. Im a GM Guy and I know this truck will give me 200k if I take care of it. Mechanically its flawless. So ofcourse after 5 years and a million activations I needed some switches and the crapy oem speakers gave up. Unless you have crystal ball a used car/truck is always gamble. Like the guy said "feeling lucky?" Only with brand new cars/trucks can you get the comfort level I think your looking for. And if its not the oil issue it will be something else. At least there is this forum to help when it does go wrong...This is where I learned it was the brake switch that was screwing up the cruise control a $20 and 20 min fix. I was getting ready to tear the steering wheel apart.