Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

how much fluid does a 4L60 take

Search this Thread

Old October 10th, 2010, 3:56 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question how much fluid does a 4L60 take

1989 Chevy Silverado C2500 ext cab. V8/350 5.7

ok ive been looking all over the internet and found all kinds of different answers. some say 5qts. and some say up to 11qts. and everything inbetween. My TC is about half full or so maby less, its a little below the fitting that slides onto the transsmision drive.

I was just wondering how much tran. fluid i need to put in to completely fill the transmission. any help would be grate. thank you

also my trans has about 201K miles on it and i just rebuilt my engine i dont think my trans. will probly hold up much longer. what would be better another 4L60 or a 700R4 ive been told they are the same thing almost.

thanks
Old October 10th, 2010, 3:58 PM
CF Junior Member

sorry also its a 3 speed with OD
from what ive been told that makes it a 4 speed.
Old October 11th, 2010, 4:37 PM
CF Active Member

4L60 is better
Old October 12th, 2010, 1:33 PM
CF Beginner

if your just draining the pan and changing the filter its 5qts.
if your doing a full flush its 11qts.
Old October 12th, 2010, 4:27 PM
CF Junior Member

thanks you guys. well im not sure which one it would be i didn't drop the pan or change the filter on it. and i didn't flush it. i know the trans cooling lines dont have any fluid in them. what happened was, i pulled the engine and trans at same time. and alot of trans fluid drained out of the back of the trans when i had it angled and lifted. i hope it wont hurt it but what i was thinking was ill start with 5qts. then run the engin and check it and add from there. thanks for all the help guys.
Old October 13th, 2010, 3:27 PM
CF Active Member

full flush refers to taking the torque converter off as well, if you didnt take the converter off and you didnt drain it then it should just be 5 quarts, youd put 11 quarts in if you took the transmission out and emptied everything, for an example, since owning my truck, ive had 3 transmissions go bad in my truck, the third just recently happened and i havent gotten around to replacing it yet, but when you replace the transmission, its recommmended to replace the converter as well, but realistically you dont really have to, but you should defidently atleast try to empty it as well as you can, well if i was putting it all back together, id start with filling the converter before locking it onto the input shaft, the converter its self takes about 5 quarts, the transmission its self holds 5 as well and i guess there is an extra quart to fill in any other areas, but if your not sure how much is in it, then add around 5 quarts, check the level on the dipstick, if it is to a good amount then take your truck for a ride, obvisiously take the fluid with you, the first time i replaced my transmission, i didnt take into account that once you start driving it, it will pump the fluid around the transmission, and when i took my truck for a test drive, i noticed that about a mile down the road, it started slipping, i thought the worst and thought i had a faulty transmission but i pulled over and checked the fluid and noticed that it was extremely low, so i added more (back to the correct level) and then drove another mile and pulled over, although i could see fluid on the dipstick, it was still low, so i added a little more and drove a little more, shortly after the transmission fluid level leveled out and maintained, so thats pretty much the best way to handle it, unless your ******* the hell out of it on your test drives, low fluid and slipping really wont cause any damage as long as you correct it asap
Old July 3rd, 2012, 7:42 PM
New User
Awaiting E-mail Confirmation

Remanufactured 4L60 for 2003 K1500 installed today
Line item receipt shows 8 qts
Old July 3rd, 2012, 8:23 PM
CF Active Member

You can drain the converter on the truck. Drill a 1/8th pipe plug hole. Drain all the old fluid. Coat a 1/8 pipe plug tap with grease and tap the hole. Use a flush 1/8 pipe allen plug and coat the threads with red loctite. Old mechanics trick. If you are not comfy doing this don't try it as you could really screw things up.
Old February 6th, 2014, 10:04 PM
CF Beginner

My 1989 suburban came with size 15" wheels. All of the newer trucks seem to have larger wheels and tires. Truck mainly highway driving, long trips to visit my grand kids in another state. Should I get larger wheels for the road? If so, what should I expect from driving on a larger wheel - a better ride, better fuel economy? Or is it all about the look? ...Grand Pa Trucker!