Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

86 k10 scottsdale

Search this Thread

Old January 13th, 2011, 11:15 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 86 k10 scottsdale

hello everyone i am the new owner of an 86 scottsdale shortbox pickup, the truck i bought seems to run strong to me there are just a few problems i would like some advice on.

1. when i put the truck from drive to park it kicks real hard and just wants to go. is that a tranny problem? i check the fluid level on the dipstick it said add one pint. where do i add fluid? would you recommend a complete drain and refill? what kind of fluid to use?

2. when i start the truck it idles pretty heavy and sometimes i have to tap the gas a little to get it to start up all the way. the previous owner said it needs "carb work" any ideas on what this could be

3. when i cut the wheel all the way in either direction there is an obnoxious squelling noise.. to me its the power steering pump.. does this mean its going bad or is it normal.

thanks for all the help in advance everyone
Old January 14th, 2011, 1:28 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1. if the truck has been sitting for a bit i would sugjest a flush but if you just want t o add fluid it gos in the dipstick tube be sure to have the truck running and up to operating temp when you check it. add some then wate a bit to check it to gety a proper reading on the stick

2. the problem with the idle may be the high idle when you start it it should rev a bit high then after it warms up the idle should drop if you are not very mecanicly inclined i would have someone look at it that knows about carbs as they can be a bit tricky

3. i think about 95% of those chevy trucks have that noise if you are turning all the way one wat or the other and its starts scweeling let off the wheel a bit it should stop the noice if it does stop then dont worry about it mine did the same thing for about 15 years. hope all this helps