Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Old August 10th, 2015, 11:13 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

HVAC Module

Search this Thread

Old May 12th, 2009, 8:04 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HVAC Module

New here, awesome sight.

I found this sight when I was reading on another forum about what to do with my HVAC head/foot/defrost selector switch not working on my 03 Silverado with manual dual climate control. I first removed the actuator but have sense decided it is probably okay as it does run a little when I try to recalibrate the HVAC module. I've tried a few ways of calibration....
1. Disconnect battery for 5 minutes
2. Remove the HVAC fuse under the hood for at least 10 seconds and
then start the truck.
3. Hold the AC switch for 5 seconds, then rotate the selector **** full
one way, then the other, and back again

Each time I try when taking the iginition back to on for the first time after attempting recalibration, the actuator turns about a 1/4 turn and then never turns again. Am I missing something?
Thanks!
Old May 12th, 2009, 8:35 PM
Super Moderator
ROTM Coordinator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome to the forum!

I had some warranty work done on my 04 Tahoe about a year ago, they had to remove alot of the dash for the repair they did ( not AC related). When they put it back together my AC did the same thing. I took it back and they said the AC ducts where the actuator is were not sitting right causing the actuator to jam. This may not be your problem but I thought it might help.
Old May 13th, 2009, 5:49 AM
CF Beginner

Thanks for the idea. I'll try moving the damper by hand to see if it's free.
Old May 13th, 2009, 6:49 PM
CF Beginner

Seems the damper will move manually just fine. I went a little further trying to recalibrate and followed these steps that I found on this sight.
  1. [*]
When I perform the above steps, the actuator will turn about a 1/4 turn and then return to it's starting position when I start the truck. I actually have the actuator uncoupled so that I can clearly see it move. After I wait the 40 seconds and the 1/4 turn business is over I can move the mode selector switch and the actuator never turns again. Any ideas? Is it time to take it to a dealer and have the HVAC module programmed?
<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->
Old May 13th, 2009, 6:58 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

First off welcome to the sight and we hope you will enjoy it! Second i would highly advise you to take it to the dealer to have it reprogrammed.
Old May 13th, 2009, 7:38 PM
Super Moderator
ROTM Coordinator

Ahhh, I guess its not a physical problem after all, its a mentel problem with the vehicles computer. Thanks for updating us!

Sorry if you took it all apart because of my thoughts, I guess its good to eliminate symptoms first if you can
Old May 14th, 2009, 4:19 PM
CF Beginner

Well I broke down and called the dealer. They said they didn't believe there was a HVAC program and said the actuator is probably bad. I'm having a hard time accepting that as the actuator does move when I first start the truck it just won't move with the mode selector switch. I would take it to them but I'm affraid they're going to go pulling the dash out and charge me $700 when I really don't think the actuator is the problem. What would you guys do?
Old May 14th, 2009, 4:20 PM
Super Moderator
ROTM Coordinator

ShawnVW might have a good answer for you, lets see if he chimes in, he is a GM tech.
Old July 6th, 2009, 10:20 AM
CF Beginner

I had a Hummer 2 2003, the AC vent control dial is not working, it shows in the computer that it is switching, but the air is coming only on the defrost part (wind shield)
Please help.
My email is maic.salazar@gmail.com
Old July 30th, 2009, 8:52 PM
Banned

Default Windshield/Vent/Foot Control

Ditto on the vent control switch with my 2004 Silverado. It only blows out the defroster (windshield). It started acting up after I drained the battery. At first, after the battery incident, it only blew hot air. It has since corrected itself. For a brief second it blew out the vents, and then went back to the windshield.

Quick Reply: HVAC Module