Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

I want to make my exhaust as loud as possible

Search this Thread

Old September 6th, 2013, 9:35 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I want to make my exhaust as loud as possible

I'm looking for any advice on how to make my pickup as loud as possible. It's the 5.3 and I currently have a flowmaster super 10 series on it with dual 2 1/4 inch pipes after the muffler with 4 inch tips. Would like to go as cheap as possible without being robbed of power. Would it be loud with a y-pipe in place of the muffler? I also want it to cackle as much as possible too. It's the stock manifolds, and not true dual, it splits after the muffler. Any input is appreciated.
Edit: Also, if I were to get headers, what would sound better, shorty or long tube? and would they bolt to the stock exhaust?

Last edited by mr.dudeman199; September 6th, 2013 at 10:54 PM.
Old September 7th, 2013, 7:10 AM
New User
Awaiting E-mail Confirmation

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

get rid of the cat, and it will bark really loud
Old September 7th, 2013, 11:07 AM
CF Beginner

Why do you want it so loud?

The reason I say this is: It also attracts the attention of LEOs. Do you REALLY want to be pulled over more often by them?

just saying... as "been there, done that, lets not do that again" type of thing from my perspective.
Old September 9th, 2013, 2:15 PM
CF Junior Member

gables, have you done that before? Is it bad for the engine? Do You lose power?

GMtruckguy.. I'm not real worried about the 5-o, I'm planning on getting a glasspack, which I believe is considered a muffler, which keeps it legal. But then again, if I do what gables says to do, then it aint so legal.

But on the glasspack note, which is better.. longer or shorter in terms of the "cackle"
Old September 9th, 2013, 3:10 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

I do not think removing the catalyst is going to increase loudness as much as an open exhaust or glass packs....

that and removing the catalyst makes it harder to sell and will never pass a state smog inspection....

I'd say go with glass pack... the less muffling space available the loader it will be...
Old September 9th, 2013, 3:17 PM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by in2pro
I do not think removing the catalyst is going to increase loudness as much as an open exhaust or glass packs....

that and removing the catalyst makes it harder to sell and will never pass a state smog inspection....

I'd say go with glass pack... the less muffling space available the loader it will be...
Should I go longer or shorter? Cherry Bomb goes from 30 inches all the way down to 8.. Not the overall length but just the bigger part.
Old September 20th, 2013, 12:28 AM
CF Beginner

Long tube headers(1-7/8"), make it true duals(2-1/4 or 2-1/2"), short Cherry Bombs. Get the racing cats. Any larger diameters will lose torque and power unless you have made a lot of changes inside the engine. Not sure what you mean by cackle unless you are talking about the popping sound when you let off the gas. If you want the backpressure sound do not use a H or X pipe. You will probably get some either way but more w/o the H or X. JMO

I personally would do the longtubes with a X pipe and keep the Flowmasters. That should sound real good!

Last edited by dp77/00vette; September 20th, 2013 at 12:38 AM.
Old September 20th, 2013, 3:00 PM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by dp77/00vette
Long tube headers(1-7/8"), make it true duals(2-1/4 or 2-1/2"), short Cherry Bombs. Get the racing cats. Any larger diameters will lose torque and power unless you have made a lot of changes inside the engine. Not sure what you mean by cackle unless you are talking about the popping sound when you let off the gas. If you want the backpressure sound do not use a H or X pipe. You will probably get some either way but more w/o the H or X. JMO

I personally would do the longtubes with a X pipe and keep the Flowmasters. That should sound real good!
Sheesh you think I'm made of money or something? haha. But that's what I wanna do when I get enough $. Thanks Vette.

How bout something a little cheaper?

Last edited by mr.dudeman199; September 20th, 2013 at 3:08 PM.
Old September 20th, 2013, 6:33 PM
Super Moderator

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Hi mr.dudeman199,

Welcome to the Chevy Forums.

"Cackle" is all well and good, but avoid

constant backfiring, or in a couple months,

you'll be starting a new thread:

"What happened to my valves and camshaft?".

Just know that using an exhaust as a sound system,

too aggressively, can tear up your valve train components.
Old September 20th, 2013, 7:10 PM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by therewolf
Hi mr.dudeman199,

Welcome to the Chevy Forums.

"Cackle" is all well and good, but avoid

constant backfiring, or in a couple months,

you'll be starting a new thread:

"What happened to my valves and camshaft?".

Just know that using an exhaust as a sound system,

too aggressively, can tear up your valve train components.
Thanks for the info, therewolf. I'm only 17 so I don't know a whole lot about all that, but I'm also not clueless. And don't anybody even dare say "typical teenage driver" cuz I'm not one of them, I'm a safe driver.

Quick Reply: I want to make my exhaust as loud as possible