Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Ideas Welcomed

Search this Thread

Old January 21st, 2012, 5:37 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Ideas Welcomed

Hi All
I have been having a problem with a 95 3500HD 2WD with a 454 & auto trans. The truck will start and run fine up to about half throttle then it will sputter and backfire and run real bad. If I take the air filter off and rev the truck up at half throttle it will start acting up and the fuel injectors will spray and stop like they are being turned on and off very quickly.
So far this is what has been done to it: 2 rebuilt distributors,Distributor cap, rotor, spark plugs, Ignition wires, coil, fuel pump and strainer,fuel pressure regulator, throttle position sensor, injectors, ecm. All made no difference.
I have become so frustrated with this truck that I took it to a local repair shop and they have had it for over a week and can't find the cause of the problem & are running out of ideas as to what to do to it. The service engine light is not being set and there are no codes.
Any ideas will be welcomed as I am out of them.

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can provide. Al
Old January 9th, 2014, 8:30 PM
New User
Awaiting E-mail Confirmation

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dieselfixer
Hi All
I have been having a problem with a 95 3500HD 2WD with a 454 & auto trans. The truck will start and run fine up to about half throttle then it will sputter and backfire and run real bad. If I take the air filter off and rev the truck up at half throttle it will start acting up and the fuel injectors will spray and stop like they are being turned on and off very quickly.
So far this is what has been done to it: 2 rebuilt distributors,Distributor cap, rotor, spark plugs, Ignition wires, coil, fuel pump and strainer,fuel pressure regulator, throttle position sensor, injectors, ecm. All made no difference.
I have become so frustrated with this truck that I took it to a local repair shop and they have had it for over a week and can't find the cause of the problem & are running out of ideas as to what to do to it. The service engine light is not being set and there are no codes.
Any ideas will be welcomed as I am out of them.

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can provide. Al
Hi there, did you ever find a solution to this? I am having the exact same problem as you and tried all the same solutions as you. Any information you can provide, is very much appreciated.

Thanks, Jay
Old January 9th, 2014, 9:52 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

I would check for an exhaust restriction...clogged cats. unscrew the pre cat 02 sensors from the exhaust and see if the problem is gone.