Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Ignition Coils

Search this Thread

Old March 12th, 2013, 4:30 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ignition Coils

Hello, Chevy Fans, I have a 2008 Silverado, Im having a problem with a miss fire code, (sorry dont have code) engine light comes on for a day then resets. I had it scanned and was told it's the ignition COIL from plug #1, if this is the case, is it a simply fix. I post more info later about the code. the light never stays on long enough for me to go get a reading.

Any help is appreciated
Old March 12th, 2013, 7:32 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> danyel.34,

Would you please post the code?

Louis
GM Customer Service
Old March 12th, 2013, 9:22 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If someone was able to diagnose it as a coil or coil circuit, I'm going to guess it was P0351; denoting a problem in the coil's control circuit. However, it take a little troubleshooting to find out if it is the coil or the wiring.
My suggestion is to swap the coil in cylinder one with another coil and see if the code jumps to that cylinder. Just add the cylinder number to the last numeral in the code (e.g., for cylinder number eight the Code would be P0358.)

If the code remains at P0351, then it is a problem with the wiring not the coil.

(If the code was P0301, a lot of people automatically assume it is a misfire caused by a coil, plug, or injector....all 301 denotes is that there was a misfire in that cylinder.}