Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

2000 silverado steering issues

Search this Thread

Old February 2nd, 2011, 12:51 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 silverado steering issues

hello,

i'm new to the forum, i've just purchased a 2000 silverado with a torsion lift in front and blocks in the rear to give it a total of 3" lift. It looks nice, has 33" tires on it and it has the 4x4 options. My issue with this truck have to do with how hard it hits in the front drive side. The ball joints are new but it hits very hard and when the 4x4 is engaged, under throttle the steering wheel wants to rip out of your hands and go back n forth in both directions. I'm not sure if the suspension is bad or if the tie rods or anything else might be shot but would like to see if anyone else would have a better idea??? It also makes a loud humming noise when coming to a stop right between 10mph and 5mph before stopping....at times it does "click" loudly when turning on the driver side. Any advice and info is appreciated, thanks
Old February 2nd, 2011, 10:18 AM
CF Active Member

I haven't noticed a problem quite like yours but I haven't been off road yet. I do notice that the steering feels odd when you turn the whole all the way in either direction. I figure this is a function of having big rims and big tires. I'm wondering if this will cause steering parts to wear prematurely.
Old February 2nd, 2011, 2:33 PM
CF Beginner

That would make some sense. I've had some bigger rims on cars before and never had problems but then again this silverado just now rolled over to 170k on the speedometer. The previous owner didn't say anything about any maintenance on the suspension and likewise components. It's getting worse just driving down the road...when coming out of a turn the wheel takes off and tries to pull in both directions simultaneously so I was wondering if the steering was out or if there were individual components that could cause this issue. That may be my rattling noise and the hard hit i get when going over the slightest cracks in the road. Any ideas on what I should check out or have replaced? anything like tie rod ends, pitman, idler, bushings or anything? I know i'm giong to replace the shocks for sure but i'm not too educated on how each of those individual components function or if one of them could be causing my truck to want to pull in both ways at the same time like the tires point inward or outward at the same time it feels like...