Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

illuminated switches

Old December 9th, 2006, 2:16 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default illuminated switches

hi there - i'm new here with my first post. so far i found some very good information already, but i have to ask something now. we have a 1999 silverado and the bulbs that illuminate the switches for the ac and for the indoor circulation are burned out (the yellow control lights are working, just not the illumination of the switches). does anybody here know if there is a way to repair this - apart from getting a new climate control module for a lot of money?
thanks
fritz
Old December 16th, 2006, 12:06 AM
CF Beginner

Default RE: illuminated switches

now i can answer to my own post - i bought these bulbs from radio shack , did some soldering and everything lights up again. same goes for the radio - i had a few burned out bulbs, these work perfectly as replacements.
http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...entPage=search
fritz
Old December 17th, 2006, 1:54 PM
CF Junior Member

I've got the same problem. Was it hard to get to the bulbs?
Old December 17th, 2006, 3:32 PM
CF Beginner

ORIGINAL: lost_in_alabama

I've got the same problem. Was it hard to get to the bulbs?
not really - you just have to take the front part of the dashboard off, it is just clipped on. then you have access to the radio, which is just clipped on too. the front of the radio needs to come off then you can see the bulbs - i connected it again with the front panel off just to see which bulbs were actually burned out. the climate control thingi comes off easily too, unplug it, unscrew the back and you see the bulbs. solder the burned out ones out and the new ones in - but the tip of the soldering iron needs to be pretty small, it is tight. it is some work and takes some time, but it is way cheaper than getting it fixed - and it always makes me feel good to get something fixed.
btw - these bulbs are really good and kind of universal, i replaced a few burned out ones in our volvo too.
hope that helps.
fritz