Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Inner Door Handle is Broke 2008 Silverado 3500HD

Old February 10th, 2011, 1:07 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Inner Door Handle is Broke 2008 Silverado 3500HD

I am wondering if someone can give me some insight into fixing the inner driver front door handle on my 08 silverado. Just had it in at the Stealership and they want 700.00 plus labour to fix this. From the searching i have done on the internet it looks like maybe a clip has been broken or possibly the door handle itself. I found some pricing on the door handle and rods/clips and it is nowhere close to 700.00 plus labour . Of course it is past warranty so that wont help and I they had the panel back on by the time I got there. I will be pulling the panel off tonight to see what I can find but would like some info from some more knowledgable folks.

Thanks

Darren
Old March 1st, 2013, 11:44 AM
CF Beginner

Default 08 chev silverado broken inner door handle

I had same problem with my 1500. I took the door apart and found that the clavis which holds the ball end of the cable to the door handle broke off. I took the whole panel to the dealership. They said it can not be fixed and you must buy a whole new panel for $500.00. The housing unit that holds the door handle in place on the door was clearly a separate part from the door and was attached during installation. GM will not sell the part separately and even though they show the picture in the parts diagram and give it the # 24 they will not sell it separte from the panel. The dealership says they have never seen it happen before. I found where the HHR has the same problem and someone found a replacement part, but it does not appear to be the same.
I used a thin piece of wire to connect the cable to the broken end of the handle. We will see how long that lasts. If anyone has a better fix let me know.
Old March 2nd, 2013, 9:57 AM
CF Monarch

Received 336 Likes on 317 Posts

Buy all the parts and install them yourself. Since you already had the door panel off, you can do the rest yourself. It is not that hard. I don't understand why the door panel needs to be replaced because the handle is broken?
Old March 3rd, 2013, 7:14 AM
CF Beginner

Default 08 Chevrolet Silverado inner door handle broken

the problem is GM does not sell the parts separately from the door panel
Old March 3rd, 2013, 7:51 AM
CF Monarch

Received 336 Likes on 317 Posts

There are replacement part manufacturers that sell door handles. They don't charge much and most of the them look identical to the original. You can also buy more than 1 so both in the front match each other. it is a better option than $700.00.
Old March 4th, 2013, 11:41 AM
CF Beginner

Default 2008 Silverado inner door handle broken

For a better description of the broken part, it is not the actual handle that a person holds onto to open the door. It is the metal shaft and assembly that attaches to the cable which opens the door. At the end of the shaft inside the door panel there is a clavis which holds the ball end of the cable. The metal clavis broke off. It is clear that the door latch release assembly is attached after the door panel is made, but as stated earlier it is not sold separately and I have not found and after market manu factor that does.
Old August 24th, 2013, 8:20 PM
CF Beginner

Default Broken door handle

Dorman makes a repair kit for the inside door handles so that the whole door panel doesn't need to be replaced. Our O'Reillys sells the kit for about a $100.00. I have replaced about 10 door panels on our fleet trucks at about $300 apiece so this is going to be quite a bit cheaper. The part number for the left side is 80374, don't remember the one for the right.
Old August 24th, 2013, 9:33 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

another option is to price a door panel at a wrecker
Old August 25th, 2013, 8:58 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by BRENTL2000@AOL.COM
Dorman makes a repair kit for the inside door handles so that the whole door panel doesn't need to be replaced. Our O'Reillys sells the kit for about a $100.00. I have replaced about 10 door panels on our fleet trucks at about $300 apiece so this is going to be quite a bit cheaper. The part number for the left side is 80374, don't remember the one for the right.
Thank you, I will check it out. Right now my patch job wire fix is still holding up.
Old August 25th, 2013, 9:02 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by tech2
another option is to price a door panel at a wrecker
I considered a panel off a wrecked vehicle, but was concerned that the color would not match, since some plastics fade in the sun.
Thank you.