Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Inside door handle

Search this Thread

Old December 23rd, 2008, 1:34 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Inside door handle

Ok I fixed the regulator and motor on my drivers side door(don't get me started on how hard that was) of a 1998 Chevy Silverado. Now I hooked everything up correctly(I had to double check) and the inside door handle will not work and the lock switch does not go all the way down when locked. The door still locks, unlocks, opens from the outside and unlocks via key. It is just not showing that it is locked on that door and the inside door handle does not do anything. Kinda like it never engages.

Any Ideas? Thanks.

Old December 23rd, 2008, 7:56 AM
CF Active Member

Default RE: Inside door handle

I wish I could help you, but I think from reading your post question, you have answered my question.

The outside door handle opener is broken on my OBS 2000 model 2500 series truck, I was going to try and fix it myself. One guy said he had replaced 3 of them, but currently if he locks his truck he has to get in on pass side and crawl across to driver side as the door handle he installed will not unlock the door.

Based on you guys experience, think I will just pay to have service center replace my broken outside door handle.

Good luck and hope youfind the problem with your lock.
Old December 23rd, 2008, 10:56 AM
CF Beginner

Glad I could help. LOL. For me it is kinda personal now so I have to keep going.
Old December 23rd, 2008, 8:14 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well, it should have been a 15 minute job to replace regulator to start with.
anyways, you have inside door handle that is midway in the door panel and a horizontal **** that slides back and for, showing red when the door is locked? if yes, there should be a rod engaged into that siliding **** from the inside. if you got that rod misaligned, it might be the cause of the problem. just pull the **** housing out and re-align it with the rod and reinstall. thin flathead will do the job to pull it out.
Old December 24th, 2008, 1:55 PM
CF Beginner

Well I went back in and could not figure out how to fix the lock problem, at least it locks. I did find out that the door handle rod was not in place. The tab had broken holding it in, so as soon as I went to pull the handle the rod popped out. Of course I couldn't see that because everything was put back together. So I went and bought a new tab. Works good now.

UKRKOZ- as for the 15 minutes to replace the regulator, maybe on a 2000 but not on a 1998. We still have the spring regulators and not the wire ones. Also the regulator was being held on by rivets, so the whole door panel had to be removed and we drilled out the rivets, then we replaced them with sheet metal screws so next time we don't have to drill out rivets.

Everything I seen says you do not want to mess with the door on a 98 silverado, and I have to agree if you do not have patience. I talked to pro shops and they said between an hour to hour and a half. Saved myself $120 and got experience but man was it tough.
Old December 25th, 2008, 10:45 PM
CF Senior Member

well, my regulator is riveted in as much as yours. the motor. but the whole entire assembly costs about $80 off the internet and pops out after 4 bolts removed. sorry, you have al that hassle with it. yes, i think they changed it in 1999.
Old December 26th, 2008, 12:23 AM
CF Beginner

Yea not doubting you probably got it done fast. The motor and regulator cost me about $100 from autozone since I couldnt wait on it from the internet. I am a smoker and in the military so I get tired of opening my door every time I go through the gate to show my i.d. Then the mechanics said it would be about $100-$120 for labor.

I had 4 rivets also. Maybe you had better luck with the drill bits but I had to take the door panel off then put it on the ground and was still tearing through bits. I bought titanium and I still went through 2 bits. Glad you had better luck, you are probably right I just had a f***ing tough time. LOL.
Old December 26th, 2008, 10:51 AM
CF Senior Member

i did not have to un-rivet anything. when i say assembly - it's the WHOLE piece: windows guides, motor, and cables. everything. 4 bolts holding it in place. i just lowered window some, secured with masking tape to the outside door, loosened 2 bolts holding glass to the regulator, popped 4 bolts holding guides in place - then it justfolds inside the door and comes out. new one goes in and done.
i can't believe there's that much difference in design between the 2 yrs. i looked at my chilton, and the new body style begins as of 1999. but, usually, they don't do that radical a change. who knows.
btw, if you smoke, installing rain guards is a great choice. from that on, you just keep window cracked open all the time, without riding that motor up and down. they don't last, i had both of them replaced this year, and i bought my truck march 2007 with only 58K miles on it.

if that's what you have, i am not surprised. once again, sorry, and apologies for unthoughtful remark.
http://www2.partstrain.com/includes/...b20vc3RvcmUvaW
1hZ2VzL3Byb2RpbWFnZS9pbWFnZXMvZG9ybWFuL1JCNzQwNjU1 LmpwZw==&title=RG9ybWFuIFdpbmRvdyBSZWd1bGF0b3I =&text=IkRP
Uk1BTiBPRU0gUkVQTEFDRU1FTlQgUE9XRVIgV0lORE9XIFJFR1 VMQVRPUiwgV0lUSE9VVCBNT1RPUiwgRlJPTlQgTEVGVCAtLSBB IEhpZ2ggUXV
hbGl0eSBEaXJlY3QgRml0IE9FTSBSZXBsYWNlbWVudCBXaW5kb 3cgUmVndWxhdG9yIEFzc2VtYmx5Ig==
Old December 26th, 2008, 7:54 PM
CF Beginner

Yea no unthoughtful remarks. I like discussing things just didnt want you to think I was viewing you as bashing me. We all have our opinions and I like discussing them. No worries or hurt feelings here. Yea if you only had screws on your door then that was prob the reason. The rivets I had to take out was the time consuming thing. That is a good idea about the rain guards. I am currently in El Paso though and have a high theft rate so I dont know about leaving my windows down.