Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Inspecting a 2004 Silverado

Search this Thread

Old March 25th, 2015, 1:47 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Inspecting a 2004 Silverado

Hi there. I'm going to inspect a 2004 Chevy Silverado with 60k miles this weekend for consideration of purchasing, and could use some advice. Up until now, I've only had a couple Honda Civics... I'm fairly handy with them (changed timing belt, gaskets, etc.), but the world of trucks is new to me. Is there anything in particular that I should carefully inspect on this truck, other than the typical things (oil leaks, oil in radiator fluid, engine sounds on cold start, etc.)? Is there anything on this model that is notorious for going bad? Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.
Old March 25th, 2015, 7:11 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have owned my 2004 Silverado 1500 for just over five years. It's been a pretty good truck overall - and that 5.3L V8 is awesome. Mine is a 2wd with the LS trim and has the 6.5' bed and the extended cab.

Mine has 120,000 miles on it and runs like a champ. I have had a few issues with it - but nothing serious. Keep an eye on the fluids and filters and you should be okay. From what I understand, the 4L60E transmission is the 'weak link' with these trucks. I had the BG "full service" transmission flush done at 75k miles and again at 118k miles (just to be safe) -- and have also had the BG service done for the fuel injection system, rear axle, radiator (at 75 k and again at 118k - DexCool) and power steering system.

Take care of your truck and it will take care of you, sir.
Old March 25th, 2015, 8:33 PM
CF Beginner

Could you or anyone else tell me if this is an odd place for rust? It's in the engine compartment, passenger side: http://imgur.com/kaYpG1m Also there was rust on the brake and gas pedals, but was otherwise in excellent condition. I inspected under the entire chassis and it looked good, but thought the extent of rust in the engine compartment and pedals was sorta fishy.
Old March 26th, 2015, 6:39 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How do you get rust on brake/gas pedals? Don't they have rubber surfaces?

As for rust on the right side of the engine compartment, that could be troublesome. Not sure why it would be there - but my guess would be water/moisture that was not able to escape (no drain holes?) after a bad storm or driving through puddles.
[/COLOR]
Old March 28th, 2015, 9:54 AM
CF Beginner

I would definitely look at the brake lines in this 2004 Chevy. Rusted brake lines are somewhat of an issue with this model or so I am finding out in my research as to why my brakes failed yesterday. Specifically, look in the driver side fender well (behind the plastic panel) where all four lines are clipped to the frame. Upon inspection, my brake lines rusted out and broke at this location.

As I depressed my brake pedal to put my truck in reverse, brake pedal went to the floor, lights and warnings came on immediately with "service brake system". No brake pressure whatsoever so, had I been driving at any speed, being able to stop this truck would have been difficult if not impossible without injury or damage.

Various other forums and complaints indicate inferior metal used in the brake lines by GM (not stainless steel) . Do your homework and be dilgient in your inspections. Good luck!
Old March 28th, 2015, 12:35 PM
CF Veteran

Received 203 Likes on 177 Posts

Maybe it's been submerged or had a previous bad leak?