Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

03' Silveraldo stalls when in gear and off the gas

Search this Thread

Old January 12th, 2007, 12:56 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 03' Silveraldo stalls when in gear and off the gas

I have a Chevy Silverado 03' 1500 2wd with the 4.8L. Within the last 4 months my truck has been stalling on me. When started and in Park or Neutral it is fine, when I put it in any "moving" gear...Drive, Reverse, 1st, 2nd, or 3rd, the voltage and rpm either drop or fluctuate up and down almost to where it stalls. When I put it in gear and start moving and then let off the gas it stalls but will start back right away. It doesn't always stall but when moving and let off the gas the rpm and voltage do go down everytime. If you have any ideas or know smething I don't....PLEASE HELP! I've changed the battery and fuel filter, it made no difference.
Old January 12th, 2007, 7:12 AM
CF Senior Member

Default RE: 03' Silveraldo stalls when in gear and off the gas

Have your alternator checked. Check all your major electrical connections too, (alt, starter, coil)
Old February 28th, 2007, 3:07 PM
CF Beginner

i have same problem with same year and enginetruck were you able to correct problem??
Old March 2nd, 2007, 11:59 AM
CF Beginner

I had a similar problem with my 5.3 liter truck. Turned out to be the fuel pressure regulator on the fuel rail. It is on the driver side of the rail. A small round dome with a vacume line attached. Just clips in so it is easy, although not cheap, to replace. Others I have talked to have had the same problem with the same fix.
Old July 4th, 2022, 2:11 PM
CF Beginner

I have a '03 Silverado 5.3L that has a new fuel pump and throttle body. It stalls when shifted into reverse or driver. It has had the codes read and all that shows up is the O2 sensor. MAF has been cleaned and is working as it should. We are kinda at a loss as to what might be the issue. I see many of you say that it could be the fuel regulator, but I am thinking that this problem is electrical. The RPMs drop to around 500 and then it dies within 3 seconds of being put into gear. If anyone could please give me some insight on this, my email is Lmccoy1101@gmail.com
Thanks in advance!