Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Old July 22nd, 2015, 10:03 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

instrument cluster problem

Search this Thread

Old February 6th, 2007, 8:06 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default instrument cluster problem

I have an 01 Silverado 5.3l with about 60k on it. Came across a problem the other day with my instrument cluster. When I start the vehicle, the lights that display my gear selection dont light up and my battery light comes on in the display. I also noticed that my engine temp sensor isnt reading. Everything else works fine with the dash and lights on my truck. When i put the key in and turn it once, the gear selection lights up and everything seems fine its only when i turn it again and start. I checked the fuses and none seem to be blown. Any idea as to what this may be?[/align][/align]
Old February 12th, 2007, 2:10 PM
CF Beginner

Default RE: instrument cluster problem

I'm kind of interested in any feedback on this topic. My instrument cluster started having intermittent problems, then finally quit working all together. In trying to track down the problem, I noticed that I had a poor battery ground and tightening the connection seemed to make a difference.

Out of curiosity, does your panel go through the normal key-on sequence with indications for things like air bags and emergency brake and so on? Mine used to do that, but doesn't any more. I'm not sure what that means, but I'm reasonably sure it's not a good sign.

Thanks!
Old February 12th, 2007, 2:22 PM
zazaman

Default RE: instrument cluster problem

im positive its a bad sign. its too clustered and not enough unclustered....
nowhattimean vern?
[]
getr longtubes there great like tony trha tiger!!!!
Old June 23rd, 2010, 2:41 PM
CF Beginner

I have a 2000 Silverado and my battery light just started coming on and the gear selector isn't there. The fuel gauge was inop once for a few minutes then it started working. My problem is intermittent though.

I took it to the local dealer yesterday and they are telling me that it is the cluster that needs replaced. It's a little expensive..but it has to be done.

Last edited by hooch95; June 29th, 2010 at 9:44 AM. Reason: took to dealer..told what was found
Old October 16th, 2010, 11:42 PM
CF Beginner

This happened to my truck not too long ago. Fuel gauge started working intermittently for a while, and then the cluster turned off and then reset if you hit a bump driving down the road. All in all, the cluster in my truck had to be replaced. Hope it helps!
Old October 26th, 2010, 8:11 PM
CF Beginner

Got a 2004 Silverado, and my battery charge gauge maxed out, I took it and had the alternator checked, and everything checked out good. Just started doing it today. Any suggestions on how to fix it?
Old October 26th, 2010, 8:42 PM
CF Junior Member

Clusters on these trucks are pieces of S***. I had to replace mine after the trip button and gauge motor went out. You can eBay a new one, or buy direct from dealer. Dealer is WAY expensive. I bought mine off of a friend who owns a shop, the only problem is the only people who can program the mileage are the dealerships. 40$ and theyll program it.
Old November 1st, 2010, 10:06 AM
CF Beginner

Hey guys, sounds like there's several problem being brought up here, I'll try to help best I can.

On the 99-02 trucks the odometer/PRND123 display will go out intermittently and come back on if you hit a bump or bang on it with your hand - this is caused by a poor solder connection where the plug is soldered to the circuit board and it can be repaired. See here for a guide on how to do it - Silverado odometer problems

The fuel gauge problem on that generation of truck us normally caused by a bad fuel sending unit on the fuel pump assembly in the tank, requires replacement.

On the 03-06 trucks the gauge problems are typically caused by bad gauge motors which can also be fixed, here's some info on how to fix them yourself - Silverado instrument cluster problems

That generation of truck also has fuel sending unit failure a lot which will cause the fuel gauge to read wrong, requires replacement.

The 03-06 trucks have another issue where the entire instrument cluster will quit all at once and sometimes come back on/off/on, chimes ringing, lights flashing,etc. This can be caused by a faulty ignition switch, requires switch replacement.

And finally, on the 03-06 trucks if you notice the 4 gauges on the right quit suddenly all at once along with lights coming/staying on it's a failing IC chip on the circuit board - cluster replacement required.

Hope that sheds some light and can help some of ya.

Fred
www.DrSpeedometer.com

Oh ya, one more I see a lot - if your oil pressure gauge is bouncing from 0psi to 80psi don't panic, it's not your motor or your gauge whacking out. It's a poor electrical connection around the oil pressure sensor/switch causing it to read full pressure then 0 pressure.
Old November 1st, 2010, 11:39 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i know for the 03-06 trucks chevy sent out a warranty for bad stepper motors inside the cluster. since it is a safety issue it was free to get it replaced from the dealer. im not sure if they sent out a warranty for the 99-02 trucks.
Old November 2nd, 2010, 8:32 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by s34n
i know for the 03-06 trucks chevy sent out a warranty for bad stepper motors inside the cluster. since it is a safety issue it was free to get it replaced from the dealer. im not sure if they sent out a warranty for the 99-02 trucks.
Ya that's right, here's some info about that as well: http://drspeedometer.com/silverado-speedometer-recall

Quick Reply: instrument cluster problem