Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Tailgate Lock

Search this Thread

Old August 15th, 2010, 10:24 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Tailgate Lock

Anyone remember a tailgate lock consisting of threaded bolt with lug nut type locking tool needed for install and removal. You removed the stock bolt from top right side of tailgate hinge and installed locking system. Very simple but very effective device. You could open tailgate but not remove it.
Bolt had round shim that prevented tailgate from being removed. I had one on my 1993 Silverado, I am looking to install one on my 2007 NBS Silverado. Unable to locate, any help much appreciated!
Old August 16th, 2010, 7:08 AM
CF Beginner

Hey friend you can simply find it by searching it online from a shopping portal. I just purchased a taillight and a lock from an online dealer.
Old August 16th, 2010, 9:00 AM
CF Beginner

Smile

Thanks for the quick response! I will give it a try. Have a great day gaush007.
Old August 17th, 2010, 10:42 PM
CF Beginner

Smile

No luck searching online shopping portal. Anyone else have suggestions?
Old August 18th, 2010, 8:30 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

contact this company. they may have info on whether the lock for the NBS is available or not
http://www.mcgard.com/
Old August 18th, 2010, 3:52 PM
CF Active Member

Not sure if this is any help, but Chevy offers a replacement locking tailgate handle for the new body-style Silverado. This kit included a new handle, and trim with lock. The lock will code itself to your ignition key. The whole kit cost $50.00 from my local dealer and took me about 5 minutes to install.

Now I just keep the tailgate locked and with the toneaux cover, I have a huge locked trunk. If the cover is up, I don't worry about someone stealing the tailgate.

Hope this is helpful.

Eric
Old August 18th, 2010, 8:35 PM
CF Beginner

Hey, thanks for the tip maxxman04 . Contacted Mcgard, phone call to representative was good. I was told they should have product out within two months. The site shows tailgate locks up to classic body style.

Also thanks to Eric, need to see my Chevy Dealer ASAP and pick up the system you mentioned! Having two locks is ok with me. Key feature is big plus.

Next on list is a good alarm system, I have LS Model with crank windows and manual door locks. Any suggestions on alarm system, I really like vehicle and want to keep it. Using Club on steering wheel now, any other devices I should be aware of? Thanks again..
Old August 18th, 2010, 11:45 PM
CF Beginner

hey i saw someone said that the dealer has a kit for the tail gate lock. do you know if they have one for a 05 silverado? and maybe the price.. thanks
Old August 19th, 2010, 8:05 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

glad to help. as for alarm, any quality alarm will do. just make sure it's a good shop that puts it in.
Old August 21st, 2010, 7:53 AM
CF Active Member

Sorry Task,

I checked for a friend of mine who has an obs Silverado and they don't make that mechanism for the obs trucks.

Sorry.

Quick Reply: Tailgate Lock