Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

k1500 shifts hard into reverse..

Search this Thread

Old August 12th, 2010, 12:56 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default k1500 shifts hard into reverse..

hello, great forum here I've just searched this problem and come up with a few ideas I'd like to check with you all.

I have a '98 K1500 automatic, 5.7 vortec 350, 185,000 miles. Lately it has been harder and harder to shift into reverse when the engine is cold. This can make it hard to get out of street parking in the morning.. It will shift into neutral and drive without complaint, but when you shift into reverse it seems to go, rocks back a little, and then grabs somewhere and won't drop into gear. A little gas or a few shifts between neutral and drive can help, but when it does finally shift into reverse it does it with a creaks and a bad clunk. The problem is not as bad if the engine is hot.

Reading here I've come up with a few ideas, can anyone pick out the most likely?

-trans fluid: plenty of it and it seems nice and clean. it is time for a new filter anyway, tho I've never changed it myself (easy?)

-u joints: one is pretty new, and the drivetrain seems fairly tight. it moves just a tiny bit left to right at the rear u joint--maybe 1/16".

-carrier bearing: don't know much about this, but it seems like it could be a problem

-u joint / trans mount bolts: they all seem ok but are pretty dirty and hard to turn--not loose

-slip yoke: I read that this may need to be cleaned and greased, haven't tried that yet

Any help is much appreciated.
Old August 12th, 2010, 1:25 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

i'd start with the filter, easy job. drop trans pan, pull filter, replace with new one, replace pan with new gasket. fill with new fluid. a dirty filter can cause poor shifting.