Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

AFM/DOD Issues

Search this Thread

Old December 23rd, 2013, 12:58 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AFM/DOD Issues

Hey guys new to the forum here wanting to get an opinion or some simple answers.

As of right now I have a 2008 Chevy Silverado 5.3L with AFM apart in my my garage due to a sticking lifter and using oil. As far as I can tell the AFM was a flop of an idea and I want to disable it and get rid of those sticky lifters. I have read that the AFM can be disabled in the ECM and the AFM lifters can be replaced with LS7 lifters. On all the forums I have read you need a new non AFM cam shaft and all new LS7 lifters to do this. My question is, is it possible to replace the AFM lifters with the other stock lifters from the constant running cylinders, leave the cam stock and drive to the dealership and have them disable the AFM in the ECM and call it good or is replacing the cam and all that necessary?

Thanks.
Old December 23rd, 2013, 6:08 AM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Welcome to the forum...
The only way I have heard of disabling the AFM feature is to use an aftermarket tuner, I do not believe the dealership can/will disable the AFM, unless you have already spoken to the a dealership and made that arrangement...
I don't have an answer for the lifter/cam portion of your question, hopefully someone will be better able to answer it...
Old December 23rd, 2013, 9:18 PM
CF Beginner

Spoke with the dealership today and they said they cant disable it cause they don't know how. What aftermarket tuner do you recommend that is inexpensive. I am not interested in making more HP just turning off the AFM.
Old December 23rd, 2013, 9:23 PM
Administrator

I don't personally have a tuner, but many folks on this forum have spoken highly of Black Bear performance -> Black Bear Performance :: Custom Tuning Solutions for 96 and newer GM Vehicles
they can create a turn that removes the AFM and tweaks for better response and fuel efficiency...
Old December 23rd, 2013, 9:36 PM
CF Beginner

Seems a little over kill for what I want and a little out of my price range.
Old December 23rd, 2013, 9:42 PM
Administrator

There certainly may be others, but I know Black Bear is spoken well of...
I would suspect if you rebuild your current setup, and leave the AFM active you should be able to get as many miles out of it as you did the original...
Also driving in 3, will prevent the AFM from going active... if you do a lot of city driving this will have little impact on MPG...
I think I read that the AFM produces approximately 3-8% better fuel efficiency..
Old December 23rd, 2013, 11:36 PM
CF Beginner

Check out this device. It might be in your price range. v8 – Range Technology | AFM Solutions for GM Cars, Trucks & SUVs
Old December 24th, 2013, 8:11 AM
Administrator

You might also contact Black Bear and ask if they can do the AFM portion only on your ECM if you send it in...if you have already taken the engine apart to rebuild it sending the ECM out for a week shouldn't be too much of a inconvenience...