Go Back   Chevrolet Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums > Current Chevy Trucks, SUV's, Crossovers & Vans > Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by: Bakliner

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-20-2011, 06:40 PM
CF Beginner

rampage159
Default Lift adjustment/ torsion bars

I'm looking to adjust my torsion bars tomorrow to even the low front of the truck with the back. I understand turning them 6-7 times will give me a 2 inch level. I was wondering if anyone has any pointers or precautions. What steps should i take in order to successfully lift my truck? I will be doing this on my 1998 chevy 1500 pickup. Thanks a lot!
Register today for free or log-in if already registered to remove this ad!
Old 12-20-2011, 08:48 PM
Super Moderator

Measure from ground to fender, jack truck up, turn torsion bars the same amount! Not so that they're even, 8 turns on one, then the other gets 8 turns. Put the truck back down and re-measure. Drive down the road let it settle and then measure again, if it's where you want it then go get an alignment
Old 12-21-2011, 07:39 PM
CF Beginner

rampage159

So i tried it today and the torsion bars weren't it the places i saw online or on youtube videos. They were in front of the front tires. Online i saw torsion bars are on the side of the truck. Im confused. My truck is also stock
Old 12-22-2011, 11:00 PM
Super Moderator

The torsion bar runs from the lower control arm to a crossmember about halfway down the truck...there's 2 bolts, one for each key. Just turn em up. But make sure the truck is jacked up beforehand
Old 12-23-2011, 10:53 AM
CF Beginner

Default Torsion bars adjustment

Jack the truck up under frame towards front just behind doors to unload suspension measure ground to fender wheelwell before ,look under truck at jack follow long stell bar and you will see a bolt turn it clockwise I think 1 turn equals a half inch,but the down side is you will have to have your frontend alaigned,by a mechanic.
I did it and gained 2 1/2 inches ,so no nose dive look for me.
With my 2007 if I raised my torsions too much I would prematurely wear my ball joints out.I believe some or all of the the 2008 and up use coil springs what I would do If I had them is either air bags or coil spring spacers.
Good luck,if not sure check with a mechanic.
merry xmass
Old 12-23-2011, 10:53 AM

Tags
1998, 2007, 2009, 2011, adjust, adjustment, bar, bars, chevy, forums, front, gmt400, lift, silverado, torsion, truck, turn