Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Lift and Performance

Search this Thread

Old February 17th, 2014, 12:52 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lift and Performance

Good morning performance people,

I just have a few questions for the experts in performance, but first, a bit about my truck. I own a 2000 Chevy Silverado LT 2500 (Non-HD) with a 364 small block. Already, I have put a high flow intake (by spectre), true dual exhaust, and a custom tuning to the engine. The truck isn't lifted, but it has oversized 33 inch Nitto Terra Grapplers on the stock wheels.

As mentioned above, my truck isn't lifted, but I want it to be. What suspension lift would y'all recommend? I've had a very hard time finding the right lift since my truck is a non-HD 2500. I'm not interested in body lift because the truck will be hitting mud frequently, and I've heard horror stories about mud trucks with body lift. I'm looking for a 6-10 inch lift.

Second, regarding my exhaust, would 4 inch OD 316 stainless steel pipe hurt my engine? My grandpa, back in his prime, worked for a piping company and was given about 60 feet of this 4 inch OD pipe. He's willing to give it to me for free since the people who installed the existing true duals on my truck screwed the piping system up (3.5 inch from headers to cats, 2.5 inch from cats to glasspacks (2 inch inlet/outlet), 2 inch from glasspacks to 3.5 inch tips).

Lastly, I've been researching putting a small turbo system on the truck. Some people say that a small turbo will add a good amount of HP without destroying the engine while others say that even the smallest turbo will blow the engine apart. What do y'all think? Just to specify, before the turbo, I'd be installing a LS6 Cam shaft, an LS6 intake manifold with the 8.1 liter fuel injectors and possibly a new fuel pump.

Please leave your recommendations below, and go easy on me. I'm just trying to learn about what I can and can't do with my truck. Also, I'm not looking for the most expensive for cheapest parts. I'm not a money bag, but I also don't want to buy cheap parts.

Thanks everyone!
Cbarnett_2500

Last edited by cbarnett_2500; February 17th, 2014 at 12:57 PM.
Old February 18th, 2014, 4:48 PM
New User
Awaiting E-mail Confirmation

I would personally just get a 3 or 4 inch lift cuz by the sounds of it that you are going to use it as a daily driver as well, as for the motor just do everything that you were planning on and forget about the turbo you will have enough power with that, and pipes you should be just fine long as you fab them up to your stock headers
Old February 23rd, 2014, 9:14 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by jj0996
I would personally just get a 3 or 4 inch lift cuz by the sounds of it that you are going to use it as a daily driver as well, as for the motor just do everything that you were planning on and forget about the turbo you will have enough power with that, and pipes you should be just fine long as you fab them up to your stock headers
I'm turning the truck into a dedicated mud-machine. I've thrown out my old idea of finding a lift and am currently designing a custom 18 inch lift.

My question still stands: will a turbo, whether I decide to install one or not, blow my engine apart? If so, then I'll be trashing that idea, but, on the off chance that it won't, I'd still like to do it for added power when I sink into two feet of mud.

Thanks for the response, jj0996! I appreciate your help! I'll be installing the piping within the week, hopefully!
Old February 24th, 2014, 7:53 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Turbo won't blow your motor with proper tunin and proper boost for the motor and supportin mods you have on the truck. Should actually run great if done correctly. I have 2 buddies that DD turbo'd trucks
Old February 24th, 2014, 8:51 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by country_09
Turbo won't blow your motor with proper tunin and proper boost for the motor and supportin mods you have on the truck. Should actually run great if done correctly. I have 2 buddies that DD turbo'd trucks
Awesome! Thank you so much for your help. I really appreciate it!
Old February 24th, 2014, 9:56 PM
CF Beginner

With that engine......all you need really is a nice set of heads (AFR CNC), and a good cam....you'll make BIG power
Old February 25th, 2014, 11:35 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Charlie5280
With that engine......all you need really is a nice set of heads (AFR CNC), and a good cam....you'll make BIG power
How much power do you speculate I'll be making? I'm producing 380 RWHP atm and would like to be at 600-700.

Just for reference, I'm putting 67 inch tractor tires on the truck and will be sinking it often. I'm gonna need alot of power to compensate.
Old March 5th, 2014, 8:02 AM
CF Beginner

Bump <3