Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

LIFTER NOISE

Search this Thread

Old August 22nd, 2007, 4:45 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LIFTER NOISE

After 71k miles of trouble free operation one lifter in the left bank of my 01 6.0 silverado in thrashing upon start-up. It only last a few minutes and then goes away completely until the next time the truck is turned off and restarted awhile later. This is not being confused with the normalLS piston slap.I have always had a little bit of that. Switching to mobile 1 10w30 helps that condition. Has anyone had this kind of problem? I want as much info as possible before I take it to chevrolet. Thanks....
Old August 22nd, 2007, 5:36 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: LIFTER NOISE

Sometimes this can be caused by carbon build-up on the valves.
Try running several strong (triple the amount recommended) treatments of Chevron with Techron fuel system cleaner and see if this doesn't cure it.
Old March 10th, 2008, 7:00 PM
CF Beginner

We have an 04 Tahoe and we have had the problem going on with this noise for over a year now. This noise is horrible. At first the noise would go away after a minute or two like you all said but now it is consistent and never goes away, you're ticking every where you go. Quite frankly it sounds like a TRACTOR and it is quite embarrasing for someone to be riding around in such a nice vehicle sounding like your going to the feild to chop down some corn.

We have gotten one of the heads fixed only because there was antifreeze going into the oil but the noise started before this problem occured. We simply went in to get a tune up and to let the company know that the vehicle was using antifreeze from some unknown reason and there were no leaks on the ground where it was parked and bam they hit us with one of the heads needing to be fixed. This being fixed didn't help the problem either.

We have taken it to several different places an finally to the Chevy dearlership and they told us that it was the alternator. NOT. Replaced it for no reason.

The oil is changed when it is supposed to be changed and yes this does quiet the truck for a day but then it starts back up again. We have over 145K on the truck and it is very well taken care of.

We have also been told that this noise was the lifters but no one knows for sure.

What is it?

Only Cheny knows.

Old March 10th, 2008, 7:19 PM
Super Moderator

delon, welcome to the forum!!!
Old March 10th, 2008, 9:12 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: delon

We have an 04 Tahoe and we have had the problem going on with this noise for over a year now. This noise is horrible. At first the noise would go away after a minute or two like you all said but now it is consistent and never goes away, you're ticking every where you go. Quite frankly it sounds like a TRACTOR and it is quite embarrasing for someone to be riding around in such a nice vehicle sounding like your going to the feild to chop down some corn.

Only Cheny knows.
Has anyone taken off the valve covers and checked the clearances? What type of oil are you using? Did you make any changes to the maintenance schedule or type of oil just before this started? Have you tried any type of additives in the oil?
Old March 12th, 2008, 7:18 PM
CF Active Member

my 350 had a bit of that tappet sound. Add one qt of Lucas oil stabilizer on last oil change. So far noise has gone away.

Lucas also work wonders on a old jeep motor that had a stick lifter or valve. after lucas treatment no more problem.

Some say lucas and seafoam are snake oil, but I have had positive result with both products.
Old March 14th, 2008, 7:11 AM
CF Active Member

Yea, I belive wellmax is probally right. And fuel treatment wouldn't hurt too. Lucas is the **** though, especially the transmission treatment works wonders. I put some in my old 86 chevy with a TH350 and it helped it out tremendously.
Old April 21st, 2008, 8:41 AM
LTD10

Dont feel bad I have a 07 NBS that is at the Dealership right now having all the lifters replaced due to a service bulltine out on that problem.

SHOULD HAVE BOUGHT A FORD, a working mans truck, not a show piece.
Old April 30th, 2008, 11:35 PM
CF Junior Member

This is a followup since reading ZX1100F1's reply to this post. I had this lifter knocking in the mornings and so I first tried a bottle of Cheveron Techron and notice a difference on the second tank. I found Schucks was running a closeout deal on Marvel mystery oil one-shot fuel treatment, one 6oz bottle for .17cents. I followed up each tank fuel of gas with one bottle of this and have notice the knocking going away more and more each day and is finally gone. I'm not sure if the Techron worked the best or as a result of a continuous preventive meassure the marvel oil worked better. If anyone is interested certain Schucks stores are still running a closeout deal on the marvel fuel treatment for 17 cents its a pretty good deal for that price.

http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductD...tNumber=MM08CD
Old May 1st, 2008, 2:11 AM
CF Junior Member

id try running seafoam in your crankcase for a few hundred miles before your next oil change to see if that cleans up any crap you got in there. or if your worried, like i would be, id put it in now and let that run in there for a week or two, then change your oil and see if it cleaned up any sort of clog your having. may be that its somewhat clogged, and once the oil heats up enough to pass through the gap you dont hear the noise as much.