Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Dash lights on 09 Silverado

Search this Thread

Old February 21st, 2011, 4:23 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dash lights on 09 Silverado

Sports Fans,
Maybe it's the model, but the dash lights on my '09 Z71 are Sooo Bright at night! **** is rotated all the way down and it doesn't make a huge diff.
I may be used to other models and manufacturers, but when I turn the **** way down I'd like the lights to go way down (or off!) too. I live, drive in the country and the dash is blinding.
Manufacturing problem? Or just the way it is? Got a fix?
Thanks for any help.
Jimbo.
Old February 21st, 2011, 10:22 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One thing I noticed on my '03 silverado is that I was able to turn the dimmer all the way down and the lights in the dash would go off, but the NBS does not do that! what was GM thinking?
On the other hand: sorry but I don't really have a solution for your problem, but if your truck is still under warranty take it to the dealer, though I know what they will say: "it is normal in this model"!!!!! BS
Old February 22nd, 2011, 7:45 PM
CF Active Member

I agree, this is the only thing I hate about my truck. That and those automatic dimming dash lights. When it gets low light, the dash lights dim automatically (and turn on the headlamps) and I can't see them (dash displays) anymore. Even if I manually turn off the headlamps, the dash lamps stay dimmed. I can turn up the brightness of the dash lamps, but then I have to turn them all the way down again when it gets darker. ARGGGG!!
Old February 23rd, 2011, 9:50 AM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok eric if the problem is the darkness in the surroundings try what I did: you need to put a 1k ohms resistor in the light sensor harness to make it think is daylight all the time!!! (in other words you will disable the automatic headlights feature) and when it gets dark you turn your headlights manually, it worked perfectly for me b/c I had a problem with my navigation screen, it was to darn dark!!! the stupid light sensor was so sensitive that was thinking it was dark way before sunset! until way after sunrise! it was frustrating b/c I couldn't see the display on the screen!!! so now my screen is so nice and bright all the time even at night, I love it.
so like I said if the problem is the light the sensor is getting try this mod and see what happen, is so easy to do that you can do it in about 5 to 10 min!!!
here's the link

http://www.gmfullsize.com/forum/show...radio+for+sale

my post is #153 in that forum, tell us the results!!!
Old May 27th, 2012, 3:19 PM
CF Beginner

hey guys.. I'm having a crazy problem and its driving me nuts, i took my gauge cluster out the other day to see what kind of LED's r in it.. if i could change them. when i put it back, now when i turn my truck on during the day.. none of my dash light, (AC controls, rock control..etc) is on.. but the Gauge backlights are on.. and i can turn them off. even if i hit the rocker switch the turn my day time running lights off they remain on. it did not do that before... so please help!!!