Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Lifter noise on cold start.

Search this Thread

Old March 30th, 2011, 12:51 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lifter noise on cold start.

Hello, I am new here and have a question regarding my 2003 Chevy silverado six cylinder (4.8L???) manual transmission truck. Please bear with me as I am not a mechanic. (LOL- I don't even know if "lifters" is the correct terminology)

I have 180,000 miles on the truck; I changed the oil religiously every 3,000 miles. I started to get a slight ticking from the top of the engine last week which lasted maybe five minutes and after it was warmed up it went away. I was overdue for an oil change as it had been over six months since my last one because I have been off work and not driving much.

I changed the oil and used a high mileage oil this time.Now, if I start the truck within a 24 hour gap it purrs like a cat. If I let it sit for two days it will tick but only for a minute or so. It seems as if time between starts is influencing the problem.

Is there any additive I can try to eliminate the ticking? Is there an issue with viscosity that is playing a part? While the "proper" thing to do would be tear it apart and replace parts it does have 180,000 miles (albeit highway miles) on it and the truck is not going to last forever.

Any suggestions on how to fix it? I haven't checked my oil pressure (gauge in cab doesn't work) but it would be easy if the pressure might be the issue. I can't afford to spend a lot on the issue due to my personal economy at the moment.
Old March 30th, 2011, 10:53 PM
CF Beginner

A Roller lifter is the issue . many of the chevys since the vortec was introduced do it. it usually will be worse if engine is cold or has been sitting. Mine has done it for the last 150,000 Km. Lucky for us the roller design doesnt damage the cam lobe while this ticking is occouring. You can change the lifters but if its quiet at operating temp I would just leave it. Save your money. taking care of the engine religiously is not a factor. some just start doing it and will continue to do it til the suspected lifter is changed. The cam is probly fine. and unlike old style non roller lifters you can simply run a new roller lifter on the old camshaft
Old March 31st, 2011, 10:30 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Rock Crusher
A Roller lifter is the issue . many of the chevys since the vortec was introduced do it. it usually will be worse if engine is cold or has been sitting. Mine has done it for the last 150,000 Km. Lucky for us the roller design doesnt damage the cam lobe while this ticking is occouring. You can change the lifters but if its quiet at operating temp I would just leave it. Save your money. taking care of the engine religiously is not a factor. some just start doing it and will continue to do it til the suspected lifter is changed. The cam is probly fine. and unlike old style non roller lifters you can simply run a new roller lifter on the old camshaft
Thank you Rock Crusher,
The thing that got me was the effect the oil change had on the issue. Changing the oil seemed to lessen the duration of the noise by over half and that's why I am wondering if an additive would clear it up. I am not as worried now that I see you have had the same issue for so many miles.

I can't complain at all about the truck, other than normal maintenance items I have not had any issues. At 180,000 miles I am under .08 (.077777 to be precise) cents a mile cost wise having only spent 14,000 for the truck. Hard to complain about that.
Old March 31st, 2011, 11:18 AM
CF Junior Member

Has to do with the compression issue as it is reduced because you are not driving it very often.

Mine does the same...mostly on real cold mornings...25-40 degrees F and goes away after severla minutes.

My mechanic tells me it is fine for the moment unless it continues.
Old April 1st, 2011, 10:31 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Rob G
Has to do with the compression issue as it is reduced because you are not driving it very often.

Mine does the same...mostly on real cold mornings...25-40 degrees F and goes away after severla minutes.

My mechanic tells me it is fine for the moment unless it continues.
Thanks Rob,
I guess that I will just monitor it and hope it doesn't get worse.
Old May 20th, 2012, 2:55 AM
CF Beginner

Default Hydraulic sound

Hi,

I own chevy venture 3,4.
First of all I am not a mechanic and have zero knowledge in car technical issues.

There is (cik-cik) sound coming out of engine due to hydraulic shaft problems.

Upon purchase the owner of this car adviced me, sound is due to car not being driven for long time and that the sound will vanish if I drive regularly.
I have being driving this car very often but the sound is now louder then it was before.

Now since the second payment of car is due. Owner has changed the theory ' sound is ok dont worry about it, you can still drive without any problem and it wont damage my engine any further'.

Now I am in dilemma if the first advice was to sell the car and second is to get second payment ??

Thanks in advance to all !
Old May 27th, 2012, 8:48 AM
CF Beginner

Suggestions please for above comment..