Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Is this a lifter or a rod?

Search this Thread

Old July 16th, 2012, 1:21 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is this a lifter or a rod?

happened when i took it on the freeway when i replaced the radiator, i wasn't babying it.

When i get a chance, whenever it stops raining ill pull the valve covers and intake manifold and see it anything broke...oil level might be low, im not sure, just kinda turned it off and parked it.

, heres a video of it, let me know if you need anymore.
Old July 16th, 2012, 3:23 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Too me it sounds like a lifter. Pull the valve covers, with each cylinder on tdc, yea you will have to crank it over, check for play in each rocker arm.
Old July 16th, 2012, 4:11 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by kevinkpk
Too me it sounds like a lifter. Pull the valve covers, with each cylinder on tdc, yea you will have to crank it over, check for play in each rocker arm.
That's what I was thinking..to manually crank it use a breaker bar on the crankshaft pulley right? How will I know when a cylinder is at tdc with just the valve covers off?
Old July 16th, 2012, 4:43 PM
CF Monarch

Originally Posted by Jb1123
That's what I was thinking..to manually crank it use a breaker bar on the crankshaft pulley right? How will I know when a cylinder is at tdc with just the valve covers off?
Yes, two ways. I'd suggest pull the plugs in this case since you don't know which cylinder it is. Crank, or manually crank the crankshft till both valves are "relaxed" or the piston is at tdc with your thumb feeling compression. Then check for backlash on the rocker arm. Unless the rod is bent, I'd not knowing what you have would suspect a lifter. I use a telescoping magnet to pull the lifter. I should add the rod is also the means for the most part for upper cylinder lubrication, as oil from the lifter will (should) travel up the rod to the rocker arms.

Last edited by kevinkpk; July 16th, 2012 at 4:47 PM.
Old July 22nd, 2012, 12:34 PM
CF Beginner

Yes, two ways. I'd suggest pull the plugs in this case since you don't know which cylinder it is. Crank, or manually crank the crankshft till both valves are "relaxed" or the piston is at tdc with your thumb feeling compression. Then check for backlash on the rocker arm. Unless the rod is bent, I'd not knowing what you have would suspect a lifter. I use a telescoping magnet to pull the lifter. I should add the rod is also the means for the most part for upper cylinder lubrication, as oil from the lifter will (should) travel up the rod to the rocker arms.
Ok so I was able to get the valve covers and intake manifold off, I didn't know you had to take that much stuff off lol.

None of the rods look bent or broken, some of the rocker arms have play in them but I still have yet to check them for play for each cylinder at tdc. How much play are they supposed to have? And what is backlash? I still haven't checked the lifters yet, but I have a feeling it's in the driver side valvestrain because I put my hand on the cover when the motor was running and I felt and could hear the noise coming from there, I could be wrong though. Would really thin/bad/old oil cause a tick like this because it looks like the oil hasn't been changed in 20,000 miles lol, atleast that was the last date on the sticker so who knows? I still have yet to change the oil and give it a tune up, I just wanted to check and see if anything broke.
Old July 22nd, 2012, 2:19 PM
CF Monarch

Backlash is the gap bettween the valve, and rocker arm. I am not sure , but .010 comes to mind. Get a haynes manual or chiltons for it. You can pull the lifters out with a magnet. If you have one collapsed, you will see it. Make sure to only do one at a time, and put them back in the same hole.
Old July 25th, 2012, 7:54 AM
CF Beginner

Backlash is the gap bettween the valve, and rocker arm. I am not sure , but .010 comes to mind. Get a haynes manual or chiltons for it. You can pull the lifters out with a magnet. If you have one collapsed, you will see it. Make sure to only do one at a time, and put them back in the same hole.
Update.

So I finally got it trailered to work. I drained the oil, and I swear the first thing that came out was water, I'd say a good half gallon lol. (But im sure thats from having the intake manifold and valve covers off and it sitting it the rain all week. But ill replace head gaskets and intake manifold gaskets when i pull the engine.) Then black oil came out.

I refilled it with 15w-40 and some oil treatment, we fired it up and the noise was there then it went away for a good 30 seconds and then it came back and stayed consistent. One of the techs said it spun a bearing. The oil pressure was really good I guess, over 80 at initial start up. Today I'm gonna do the pull a plug test to see which cylinder.

I was looking online at a crankshaft kit that came with the bearings and seals, question, would I be able to reuse my crank if I had it grinded and matched bearings to it or should I just go ahead and get a kit for it?
Old July 25th, 2012, 11:06 AM
CF Beginner

correction,i wanna say the noise is more intermittent than constant. It also got quieter when i put it in gear.