Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Lockers

Search this Thread

Old January 18th, 2012, 7:06 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lockers

So here is what I have. 2007 Silverado Classic, 5.3L, 4X4, Quad cab, Short bed. 35" tires on 17" rims. I have a K&N CAI and Cat back dual exhaust.

I'm looking a installing some lockers but not sure on what to get. I try to go muddin/ trail ride about once a quarter. I was looking at Detroit lockers and Detroit Tru-Trac.

I can work on my truck but I think this job might be a little out of out my expertise. Do I need any special tools? How hard is the install? Can I do it in my drive way?

Thanks
Old January 18th, 2012, 7:48 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd get the master install kit along with it, this way you don't have to take the bearings off the old diff and put em on the new one
Old January 18th, 2012, 6:18 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would have an experienced shop do the work. There is a lot of variation in performance and durability with different locker designs. I would check the off-road forums as you are more likely to find people with current relevant first hand experience.

When I am trying to decide between Brand A and Brand B I will do a Google search on "Brand A" and "problem" and quickly find the posts with people that have had problems and then I can compare that to Brand B and see what types of problems and the severity of the problem.

There is a trade-off between the tougher lockers and the ones that use a clutch mechanism and the costs involved. For your once a month outings you do not need the super duper version. Once you decide on the brand you can find a local shop with experience installing and servicing them. I would look to then for information before you actually buy anything. If they say that 50% of what they install is Brand A but 90% of what they have to service is also Brand A then I would take a look at another brand.
Old January 19th, 2012, 5:08 AM
CF Beginner

Thanks, I will take this to the offroad forum
Old January 20th, 2012, 4:28 PM
CF Beginner

I went with Eaton. They were recommended by a vey popular 4x4 shop in this city. 40,000 miles so far and flawless. Study them in the net.