Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Old July 22nd, 2015, 2:44 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Wheels and Tire
Print Wikipost

Locking diff?

Old January 2nd, 2011, 2:04 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One more thing; I've run the VIN on several search sites and come up with the general specs. However, none give options such as G80, etc.

Does anybody know of a website where I can get t complete list of options that came with the truck?
Old January 3rd, 2011, 5:12 AM
CF Active Member

WOW thats cool if thats tru it means my 2007 NBS is really a 2010!!! Ha HA your dealer is full of it! My 2007 has a locking diff. Another way to check is when you spin the tires irswhen you take off on snow does the back go straight or try to slide to one side or the other? Open Diffs tend to go straight because one spins & the other tire isn't it tends to keep the rear straight, if both spin it tends to go sides ways!!!
Old January 3rd, 2011, 11:31 AM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by Chas1955
Open Diffs tend to go straight because one spins & the other tire isn't it tends to keep the rear straight, if both spin it tends to go sides ways!!!
Gonna have to disagree on that one. That reasoning doesn't make any sense at all, why would the truck want to go straight with only one wheel spinning?? My truck has an open diff and it definitely tries to kick the *** out if I give it too much gas.
Old January 3rd, 2011, 1:27 PM
CF Beginner

For what it's worth, that's how I suspected something was weird. I tried going up my inclined driveway and spun out, in 4wd yet. On the next attempt, the truck slid sideways, almost taking out the neighbour's rock wall!
Old January 3rd, 2011, 1:30 PM
CF Beginner

I read somewhere that the G80 locking diff is part of the heavy duty towing package, which my truck has; oil cooler, hitch, haul mode transmission switch, etc. Anybody know about this?
Old January 4th, 2011, 7:01 AM
CF Active Member

Default Locking Diff

Think about it If one wheel is spinning & the other isn't the non spinning wheel keeps you from sliding sidewaws unless it is super slick. If both are spinning you tend to slide to the lower side. Try checking your rear diff in 2wd one on grass & one on pavement. You could put one wheel in the air again in 2wd & try to drive off the jack juct make sure you don't have anything in front of you

Charlie
Old January 5th, 2011, 2:32 PM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by Chas1955
Think about it If one wheel is spinning & the other isn't the non spinning wheel keeps you from sliding sidewaws unless it is super slick. If both are spinning you tend to slide to the lower side. Try checking your rear diff in 2wd one on grass & one on pavement. You could put one wheel in the air again in 2wd & try to drive off the jack juct make sure you don't have anything in front of you

Charlie
Seriously, it wont hurt the truck any.
As log as you don't jack it up 12 inches and rev it up to 3000rpm before putting it in gear.
Jack it up just enough to allow the tire to spin.
A G80 needs about 100 rpm at the spinning wheel before it kicks in to both sides.

The G80 code is: ..................G80

It is a RPO code, not in your VIN.
Go here http://www.c2e.info/rpocodes/
to dechiper your RPO codes found inside the glove compartment door.

Last edited by DoubleO7; January 5th, 2011 at 2:40 PM.
Old January 6th, 2011, 7:47 AM
CF Active Member

Originally Posted by Georooney
I read somewhere that the G80 locking diff is part of the heavy duty towing package, which my truck has; oil cooler, hitch, haul mode transmission switch, etc. Anybody know about this?
I have a 2008 NBS LS truck with the tow package. I DO HAVE the G80 Locking rear end. So the dealer is full of it.

Hope this helps,

Eric
Old January 11th, 2011, 11:22 AM
CF Beginner

Thanks guys,

The latest from the dealer is that my truck should have the G80 locking diff (had to push the issue with the salesperson on that one). They seemed to have temporary amnesia about the year that the G80 came out. When I showed them the RPO code G80, they seemed to have vision problems as they claimed they hadn't seen that before.

They want me to take it to an authorized repair shop and have the drive train checked over. More to follow....................
Old January 11th, 2011, 11:24 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by ericnottelin
I have a 2008 NBS LS truck with the tow package. I DO HAVE the G80 Locking rear end. So the dealer is full of it.

Hope this helps,

Eric
Have you had any problems with the G80? How long have you had the truck, and do you use it off-road?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Locking diff?